If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I can never tell when I should offer a review or not.

edited 2011-06-17 10:22:39 in Webspace
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
It turned out alright this time, but...

Comments

• Eh? What happened?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I've had a few people yell at me for being overly picky.

I mean, I can see what they mean- when your usual critiques are over ten pages long and this is a two-minute glance over and write up, I'm being nitpicky.

But... You know?
  • Even minor nitpicky feedback is still feedback. 
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    But some people do not want overly detailed feedback. They want your general thoughts on the flow, the scenes and perhaps the characters, but they don't want people to go into detail on their sentence structure, etc.
  • Those people shouldn't be biting the hands that feed them. THE BASTARDS.
    But they do anyway.

So I never know when to offer, y'know?

It's the reason I left the Critique Club.
  • Well, you have to decide. You either do it anyway, fuck their desires to be sheltered, or you don't. I find that I have a habit of doing it anyway, then retreating, in a nice vicious cycle, but this is not about me and I really shouldn't be making it about me.

SO. It comes down to whether you can emotionally handle the annoyance. I mean, if you do get it, feel free to pm for back up ;P but is it worth it, to you?
    Honestly, not really.

I mean, if they're going to bite back at me, chances are, they're not going to listen.

Which just results in all that effort going to waste.
  • Well, you can always offer as a reflex, with a "WARNING. WILL BE NITPICKY :D

but I do not know how that will help.
    I don't think they generally get what I mean by 'nitpicky'.
  • Just offer. If they complain, tell them you did more than they asked so they should just take the criticism.
  • But see, that's what I don't get. I LOVE your type of reviewing. It goes straight to the mechanics, which is something I can only hint at vaguely.

Maybe say "Very heavy mechanical nitpicking?" 
  • edited 2011-06-17 10:48:43
    Why not "Very thorough nitpicking"?
    I do.

Let's see if I can remember the gist of the most recent one.

"Honestly, you're quite a sadistic person. Who goes through and does this, just to make a person feel bad about their writing? You're a nasty bitch. Why don't you go and jump off a cliff if you feel like hurting someone."

Only with worse spelling and grammar.
  • ...jeebus. Cygs. Where do you go? FF?
    Nope, Shoujou-ai forums.

To be fair, I immediately got bored and started dissecting the grammar and spelling of the response.
  • That still doesn't justify their response.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Well, if they want to stay a bad writer, that's their business.
    No, it doesn't, as I did that to their response, which implies they sent the response before I did it.

The person got banned for it, at least.
    Well, if they want to stay a bad writer, that's their business.

Good point.
  • Do they all flip out?
    Not all of them.

Sometimes, people just ask me to please stop commenting if I'm only going to say hurtful things.
  • That has happened to me a few times, but to be fair, I tend to be wayyyyy more vitriolic than you. Which is probably what puzzles me the most. How the hell do they see you as being hurtful? 
  • Wait, Can I have an example of one of the reviews you take time on?
    Here.

This is one done by a skillful writer, though, and done up while I was sleep deprived.
  • It's not that mean. Actually, it's not mean at all.
    I don't do mean. I do nitpicky.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Seems pretty reasonable to me.
    Taker had a good reaction to that one.

Most of the reviews I do are sent by e-mail.
    I'm going about this the wrong way, actually.

I need to establish myself around the forums as a person who is willing to critique stuff in this manner.