If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"It's the same, so it sucks."

edited 2011-06-13 17:35:53 in General
Morgan Freeman is God
I particularly dislike this attitude towards new video game that are released.

Really, since when is more of a good thing a bad thing?

Comments

• What... like prostitutes?
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    ???
  • edited 2011-06-13 17:39:58
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

• Well, if it is a prostitute, it will suck cock, right? 
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    Can we please get back on topic?
  • edited 2011-06-13 17:50:17
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Well if the first game was enjoyable, rather than shelling out £xx for just another rehash, it is expected that using the brilliant base they can improve upon it, giving new story/better ways to do X in game /etc.
  • edited 2011-06-13 17:52:40
    It can ruin how you experience the previous game.

• Morgan Freeman is God
    Sometimes there isn't much that can be improved upon.

3D Mario and Zelda games, for example. I can't think of any way they could possibly be made better, so the only logical thing to do is to release similar games.
  • While too much of a good thing is wonderful, it can also grow stale. When it comes to game, particularly, people can feel cheated when a game is just "more of the same", because we've reached a point where DLC and expansion packs should be able to provide for that, and allow sequels to bring something more substantial.
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    I don't really feel cheated at all for paying more for a game with similar mechanics. I don't really get why people do, to be honest.
  • edited 2011-06-13 17:58:32
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^ Arguably Zelda and Mario are improvements/variations on their central theme.
    Instead of just more levels of Mario 64, you've washed away goo from tropical islands, been paper thin and ran around planetoids messing about with gravity.

Similarly with Zelda series, variations on a theme.
  • edited 2011-06-13 17:59:27
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I don't complain when it's just similar mechanics. But if it's similar mechanics, similar levels, similar graphics, similar story...then I'm pretty much just playing the same game again but touched up.

Doesn't generally apply to Zelda or Mario.
  • Silence is golden.

I had the same mindset as the OP. Then I played Final Fight 2.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Mario and Zelda are both prime examples of games that change to harness new technology, but still kinda mix it up when two games are released for the same console.
  • Meh, Zelda can use plenty of improvement. Ditching the distinction between sword-fought minibosses and item-fought dungeon bosses, balancing the large-main-quest/expansive overworld dichotomy(Ocarina vs. Majora/Link to the Past GBA remake vs. Minish Cap), etc. That's mostly fine-tuning, however.
    And subjective. A lot of those things are intentional.

For instance, using the dungeon item against the boss is a major running concept in Zelda games. If you could just fight the boss with your sword, then that dungeon hasn't contributed to your sense of progression. And if you need the item to fight the mini-boss, you're probably getting it too early or the mini-boss is way too late.

Making the item an essential element of beating the boss also makes a dungeon-specific puzzle boss possible, or it could be a straight-up fight with the aid of your new weapon. Either way, it's the most tangible way of showing how Link is becoming more powerful and, ultimately, more able to take on the big bad.
  • Blame it on the skip from 2D to 3D. Many 2D Zelda bosses had the use-item-to-expose-weak-spot, then attack said spot while still avoiding the boss' attacks. 3D Zelda bosses are more often of the stun-and-wail variety. And I didn't say anything about mixing up the item order for the mini-boss. Instead, why not use an item obtained in the previous dungeon to aid in the fight?

Every game has a boss that stands out due to variety. Odolwa from Majora's Mask, Gleeok in Phantom Hourglass, Ramrock from Oracle of Ages, Byrne in Spirit Tracks, Zant in Twilight Princess: multi-phase boss fights that introduce twists to the stun-and-wail formula.
  • edited 2011-06-13 19:11:49
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    wrong thread
    To be fair, previous items often are of great help. Even if they're not directly damage-dealers. Roc's Feather springs to mind as a 2D staple.
  • edited 2011-06-13 19:18:23
    Diet NEET
    Plus some ranged items could still chip away at the health of bosses, but since LTTP and Link's Awakening, that's diminished almost entirely, except perhaps with the degared-to-common-mook mini-bosses.

It looks like Skyward Sword will make up for a lot: the emphasis on sword combat will make it have a more emphasized role in dungeon boss fights, mehopes.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Why has nobody mentioned Mega Man yet?
  • Glaives are better.
    If it's the same, then you've already experienced it before. If it's something you've already experienced before, why pay money for more of the same shit?
  • edited 2011-06-13 23:37:35
  • ^^^ Because everyone was busy talking about Zelda, for some reason.

That said, I like that Megaman games tend to be pretty much the same.  It's a pretty good formula, and it's not like you're playing literally the exact same game every time, obviously (since, you know, different levels and bosses and such).  Though, that mostly applies to the classic series, no?  The other Megaman series tend to change things more significantly between games.
  • The only game i've had this problem with was Street Fighter.

I mean seriously, the sheer amount of rereleases is scary.
  • Doesn't Street Fighter do it in order to rebalance shit for tournament players?
  • I don't remember anymore, to be honest.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    The various rereleases of SFII were basically "bug fix" releases, though one also added new characters.

Hell if I know what the story with SFIII is though.