If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Sweden is the best country in the world for women."

13»

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Metalworking is incredibly fucking important, these people are like one stressful evening from pillaging the Scottish coast
  • I WISH I took a metalworking class, but it was full --grumbles--
  • Why are jeans so popular, anyway?

What about all the other kinds of pants?
  • edited 2011-06-11 09:06:49
    Jeans are cozy and durable.

So, Bradamante, booked a flight to Saudi Arabia yet?
  • Is them being so durable the reason why torn ones seem to be so popular?
  • edited 2011-06-11 11:45:57
    Loser
    AHR,
    Until you get that acceptance, you need to do some pushing,
    unfortunately. I mean, now girls are not forcing each other to wear
    jeans, but at one point it had to be a conscious decision, otherwise the
    movement would go completely bust, you know?

I agree, but I am not sure that public schools (especially elementary schools) are the best place to do that kind of pushing. I think the kind of stuff described in the article that Bradamante mentioned sounds like potentially harmful social engineering more than anything else.

I admit that I am not exactly sure how and where one should do that kind of pushing though. I mean, I would like it if men could wear dresses/skirts and women could play pro basketball without whispers about them being gay and such (partially because I think that leads to discriminating against people who actually are homosexual). I am just not sure how to go about doing that. I think that changing cultural values can be tough, especially if they are particularly ingrained in society.

Sorry, I suppose that last part is really just stating the obvious.

Bee,
    I don't mind that women wear jeans, so much as that frigging everyone wears
    jeans and it's becoming increasingly difficult to find pants of any
    other kind because nobody sells anything else but that and dress slacks.

I actually kind of agree with this too and what you said about metalworking, cooking, and such. I do not believe that schools should really be spending their time educating students about that kind of thing. From what I can tell, it is either just a plain waste of time because people purposely slack in such classes or is time better spent doing something like working on math, science, and reading. Granted, I am American so I probably have some bias here related to what I know about American schools.
  • I tried to purposely slack in such classes lots of times and they wouldn't let me. >_>

Admittedly it was kind of hard to fall asleep in a room full of tools that looked like they could rip my head off...
  • Jeans aren't pants. Jeans are trousers. Pants are worn UNDER trousers.
    Bah... stupid yanks and their stupid reappropriation of words.
  • "Which women? The women who toe the PC line. The women who put themselves first, and the people they love last. But that's not all women. There are women who value independent thought. There are women who want a strong man to challenge them. There are women who smile when they see the men they love happy. There are women who just like smiling, period."

I read this entire thread going under the assumption that at least one of these sentences would be justified with some kind of evidence.

I was disappointed.