If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This place just slowed down

124»

Comments

• edited 2011-02-05 23:39:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Aren't Alabama Dems generally quite conservative, and aren't they gradually switching over to the other side anyway?

Given that the breed is kinda dying off, you could get involved in local Dem politics and take things in a new direction if you've got enough initiative.

^ They're as fun as watching baseball or football games.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Well, I'm not really talking about political views so much as general bribery and stuff. According to my mom, who worked in a two-year college for a few decades, the local Dems have pretty much killed Alabama's education system.
  • edited 2011-02-05 23:43:39
    I'm not surprised that they're corrupt, to be honest--they were the heavily dominant party for many, many years, and dominant parties easily become corrupt.

Alternatively, you can try to springboard reform from the Republicans' side.  Do be aware that that's the party of the crazy tea-partier types, though, if you have ideas of moving up.
  • I never thought about what I was doing as casual sex.

I can't believe I was having casual sex (i think).
    Well, did you consider it meaningful? If so, it wasn't casual.
  • It was meaningful to me, because it's my usual way of sharing deep affection for somebody.

But for some reason, I feel really weird. What if he thought it was just casual sex? :<
    That's entirely possible. In that case, I wouldn't recommend pursuing meaningful sex such a person.
  • edited 2011-02-05 23:46:46
    Loser
    GardenGnome,
    Its not what you do, its the emotions behind them. I hug someone because
    I want to be close to them. Its like how young kids go on "dates"
    because its what adults do, not because they have a romantic attraction.
    Having sex is not automatically meaningful. Some people have casual
    sex.

I agree. Of course, your mileage may vary on whether it should be meaningful.

INUH,
    My second and third guesses were going to be something like Vanderbilt or Rice, but I guess Georgia Tech does have that reputation.

glennmagusharvey,
    Last I heard, general elections in Georgia were not that competitive. I might be totally off here, but I think that almost two-thirds of the Georgia state legislature is Republican (partially because some Democrats switched sides in 2010). Still, I think there are quite a few internal conflicts within the Republican Party in Georgia, but I do not believe that means that the Democratic Party will really gain anything. Of course, I am not an expert on Georgia politics nor do I really understand Wisconsin politics.
    Well, we host the largest free fan convention on the continent, so I think we've earned the reputation.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Stop saying you're not an expert!  No one is around here, or everyone is!

Anyway, it's a southern state in a very polarized time.  That said, perhaps you could try getting involved in the Republican primary elections.  Note that this might require that you register as a Republican, if Georgia has closed primaries.
    Wait what?  FREE fan convention?  and a large one at that?
  • edited 2011-02-05 23:49:31
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'm generally not very interested in politics. I don't like either major party in the US, so I've never really wanted to follow stuff.

^Indeed. It's hosted by my Anime club every March. We're expecting over 9000 people this year.
  • edited 2011-02-05 23:51:08
    ^ literally?

Also, you're in a nice part of the state since it's filled with not just college students but nerds and geeks.

In any case, I see an election as a way to, incrementally, push toward better policies, by picking the less-bad option.
  • Lolwut anime-con?

neko-desu-ka onigiri-sempai?
    Literally over 9000. The estimate is 9000-10000.

Linky.

I've never been to a con before.
  • >making a website entirely in Flash
    WHY!?
    ...it's free AND you haven't been to it before?  And it's ON YOUR FREAKIN' CAMPUS?

wat.  At least you should have tried it out.
    It's my first year here.
  • edited 2011-02-05 23:55:03
    This is INUH's first year at college, so it wasn't on his campus before...

FUCKING NINJAS HOW DO THEY WORK
    Oh.

Oops.
    Yeah. As far as I know, Alabama only has 2 conventions, and they're both tiny and not in my city.
  • edited 2011-02-06 00:03:11
    Loser
    glennmagusharvey,
    Stop saying you're not an expert!  No one is around here, or everyone is!
    If I am not mistaken, are you not some kind of piano virtuoso with multiple degrees and a knowledge of politics that exceeds that of even some people who have degrees in that field? I would say that would mark you as an expert on those areas. I feel like it makes little sense for me to comment on things as if I have decent knowledge on them when I really do not.

Anyway, I think Wisconsin politics is definitely more competitive than Georgia politics. I guess whether or not that is a good thing depends on your opinion of the Democratic and Republican parties though. Some people really like Sen. Ron Johnson for example while others miss Sen. Russ Feingold a good deal. 

I guess a lot of people do not care either way though or at least they do not or cannot vote to express their opinions. I find the latter case understandable, but I think it is regrettable that so many people just do not vote.
  • I like that Canada has more political parties. Also enough people wanting change can change it by lobbying and such even if they can't vote. And Tnophilia when I was talking about casual sex I was thinking more of picking up strangers in a bar.
  • edited 2011-02-06 00:19:10
    Cue-bey
    having more political parties means we never have anything other than an impotent minority government.
    Having fewer political parties makes a government powerful in all the wrong ways, though.
  • That makes me think of Rick Mercer and the slap chop parody, where it always came out a conservative minority.