If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The idea that chickens aren't 'real' pets.

edited 2011-05-25 17:33:51 in Meatspace
I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
I keep chickens as pets.
It irritates me when people seem to dismiss the idea that they can be pets, they assume that they are only for food.

Honestly I'd love to find all the people who say this and invite them to a delicious banquet serving Roast dog, cat chops, puréed hamster peruvian style guinea pigs and goldfish fingers/giblets.

Or something.

Comments

• edited 2011-05-25 17:33:41
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    don't you mean Goldfish Oeur'DURRves?
  • edited 2011-05-25 17:33:34
    To represent those that have pet fish and hold the view. More likely goldfish fingers. 
    ^ Or that.
  • My relatives overseas love keeping chickens as pets. Still doesn't prevent their inevitable fate, though.
  • Chickens are neat. I don't really like the notion that we can't be friendly to animals we eat, or that it's wrong to eat something just because it's cute.
  • edited 2011-05-25 17:40:17
    ^ Nuhuh.

Mine are egg layers, so they are useless for meat eating.
    As not all chickens are meat birds.

Also I never said it was wrong to eat them (I eat free range chicken after all) and I'd happily eat free range dog/cat etc.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Because they aren't normal to have as pets since they don't sell chicken feed at Petco (weird as hell).
  • Yeah, this idea is pretty stupid.

"Roast dog, cat chops, puréed hamster peruvian style guinea pigs and goldfish fingers/giblets."

...I really, really want to say how much I would like something like that, but I don't want to sound stereotypical...

Fuck it, that sounds delicious.
  • edited 2011-05-25 17:47:54
    Some chickens are really docile, too. I knew a girl who liked to dress her rooster in a baby bonnet and give him rides in a wheelbarrow.

"...I really, really want to say how much I would like something like that, but I don't want to sound stereotypical..."

Wait, what?

• edited 2011-05-25 17:48:58
    ^^
    I honestly would eat all of the above, as long as they were raised free range.

^ Yeah they can be really tame, and adorable.
    Dogs taste good.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-25 17:51:35
    ^^^Aww...

Also, the stereotypical comment was in response to the whole "LOL, CHINESE PPL EAT CATS AND DOGS!" thing.

Lets face it, if someone actually ate a cat or a dog that was prepared just the right way, they wouldn't mind going back for seconds, Chinese or not.

^Case in point.
  • "Also, the stereotypical comment was in response to the whole "LOL, CHINESE PPL EAT CATS AND DOGS!" thing."

Oh, okay, I didn't know you were Chinese :)

Not gonna lie, when I came back home and saw my sister's new guinea pigs, I immediately pictured fried pig-on-a-stick. I can probably buy it somewhere too.
  • I love my pets, but I still want to try cat as food instead of just cat food.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    It is a shame about the not eating cats and dogs, as there was a newspaper article over here mentioning a growing group in china pushing to stop them being used for food. Not sure about the veracity.

Also:
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-25 17:58:28
    Not going to lie, I've always thought having a chicken as a pet would be awesome.

^^Ditto.
    Domesticated Chickens could be good I guess. Chickens have a bad habit of shitting on everything.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-25 18:03:18
    So do dogs. And babies.

Then again, it's probably easier to housebreak a dog.

How easy are chickens to housebreak?
    ^^ & ^

Haha yeah no chance house breaking them. If you were an idiot you can buy little chicken nappies so they could come in the house (Only sold in USA for some reason..).

Also yeah, all you need is to have a garden/outdoors area for them to live on. If garden, taker a trowel and just move the shit to a compost heap, as chicken mature is great fertiliser.
  • I always thought the family dog had some delicious looking hind legs.

There's... there's no way to make that not sound wrong, huh?
  • Allow me to answer that question with another question.

HAHAHA!

...Wait, that's not a question at all, is it?

Still, HAHAHA!
    ^^ Yo dawg I heard you like dogs..
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Chickens aren't considered "real" pets since you can get little chickens for way too cheap.  Ten cents apiece is the going price, I hear.
    ^ I see what you have done here.

Also chicks going 'cheep' well I never.
  • Actually that sounded REALLY delectable. It bugs me that
    just because a society keeps certain animals as pets traditionally then eating
    those animals would be sordid

• They're somethin' else.
    There actually are feral chickens in my neighborhood. We have one particular flock we keep in our backyard to kill off pesky insects.
    Hehe feral chickens makes me imagine them as vicious streetwise chickens, and that is silly.
  • ^And for some reason that comment makes me imagine the typically "urban, streetwise" characters you see in fiction, only as rabid wolves.
    "Hey it's MC Wolfie, lay it to me Wolfie"
    *Gets ripped to shreds by a rabid wolf wearing a blood covered gold chain (with $ on it) and backwards baseball cap*
  • Quick, someone give me Adult Swim's number!