If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My school does not approve of the club I wanted to make

edited 2011-05-23 22:13:14 in General
Snowy Foxes
It's a literary circle thing, in contrast to the other writing club we have, which is contest-based and publishes a magazine. We would anonymously give critiques and then have face-to-face talks with the reviewer because I find that giving people critiques online sometimes leads to misunderstandings. Not always, but enough times to bug me. My friend likes to write, so I wanted to ask if she wanted to join.

"The school isn't going to let you make that," she said.

"lolwut?"

"Just go ask."

I went and asked my counselor, who said, "Oh, no. Criticism creates a negative atmosphere."

"But teachers do it all the time."

"Not on a personal level, no."

"How is reviewing someone's writing negative on a personal level?"

"That person put so much work into it! Saying that it's bad will make them feel worthless," said the counselor, shaking her head. "At this school, our goal is to create a positive environment where our students can grow."

wut

Comments

• IJBM: the assumption that "critique" = "negative".
  • edited 2011-05-23 21:51:23
    Has friends besides tanks now
    It's because nowadays, school officials/parents don't seem to want to allow anything that might damage self-esteem (or so the theory goes), never mind that teachers do it all the time simply by grading poorly-done work. She's also missing the point of criticism and failing to realize that students can grow by acknowledging their faults.

It's an understandable reaction, but not one that I agree with, myself.
  • I'm agreeing with Longfellow. Besides, you wouldn't be offering the critique in the first place if you didn't think whatever you were critiquing had any hope of getting better anyway.
  • But snowfox, surely you've hung around on the forums long enough to realize that negativity serves no purpose >:[
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Get your parents to talk to the school about it.

If that doesn't work, get other students' parents to talk to the school about it.
  • I knew who made this thread before I eve-

wait wheres chagen

"failing to realize that students can grow by acknowledging their faults."

They sure can grow better that way, but it's harder to do, especially when you have to put up with the burden of trying to guide so many people.
  • edited 2011-05-23 23:19:38
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ How so? I'd probably understand you better if you were more specific.
  • edited 2011-05-23 23:20:18
    Tableflipper
    Getting them to acknowledge things like that is harder to do than just trying to let them go with an easier mindset.

Not that they're particularly good at it most of the time though, given how many bullies exist.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Eh. Probably. But the way I see it, they're going to have to learn to prevent potential mistakes anyway, right? Less so if they're not in a critiquing club, but still.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Also, say it's not about criticism but about critiquing.
  • This is hilarious.
  • Glaives are better.
    Esteem-focused theory needs to die.

Preferably by dragging those armchair sociologists in front of a stage of howling teenagers and shrieking "WRONG WRONG WRONG" in their fat ugly faces until they shriek like the babies they are.

• I'd rather you punch them at that point.
  • Glaives are better.
    BUT VIOLENCE IS WRONG.

Speaking of which, imperative pacifism needs to be dragged out in the back and shot.
  • Schools might as well be state brainwashing as far as I'm concerned.  Just pay them lip service and pursue your hobbies outside as much as possible.