If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Because I said so"

edited 2011-05-20 19:45:05 in General
[tɕagɛn]
This is some of the most fallacious logic ever. Yet people use it all the time.

Comments

• Your parents don't have to justify their decisions to you, Chagen. Sorry!
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    It's kind of a "I have authority over
    you, so you have to do what I say no matter what" thing. Its not meant to be actual logic.
  • edited 2011-05-20 19:49:17
    [tɕagɛn]
    Why?

What gives them this superior right? I only follow orders which have been rationalized and given good logical justifications for them. To follow an order on some vague bullshit is completely ridiculous. 

Yes, they do have to justify their decisions. They are no better than any other person in the whole world. They are not God. I answer with unwavering loyalty only to The Lord Himself.
  • kind of reminds me of something Nixon said.
  • edited 2011-05-20 19:56:18
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    "What gives them this superior right?"

The fact that they're the ones who feed, clothe and shelter you.

Yes, this is  a non-sequitur answer. No, that doesn't change anything.
  • This isn't a question of what is, guys. It's a question of what should be.
  • edited 2011-05-20 19:57:27
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Didn't God say something about being dutiful to your parents?
  • "Because they're the ones who feed, clothe and shelter you."

By that logic, a person who is kidnapped by a serial killer and kept in his/her home and fed poison until they die a horrible death is obligated to respect the demands of the serial killer.

After all, the killer did shelter them (kept in their home) and feed them.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    lolteenangst
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Logic has no place in dealings with parents, Chagen. There is only blind, reverent obedience.
    ^ Or stab them up, either or.
  • "Yes, they do have to justify their decisions."

Of course they don't. People with that amount of financial and physical control over you don't need logic to be convincing.
  • "There is only blind, reverent obedience."

Blind reverent obedience leads to anti-intellectualism and fundamentalism. 
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    It's also the only way you're ever going to get along with your parents without constant arguing and frustration on your part.
    I doubt in the nationstate of Chagen's house it is unlikely to be too widespread in the general population though.
  • Wicked: Oh, we do that a lot.

Also, this was because me dad demands that I keep my door open for some reason. I really don't see any reason why he wants my door open.
  • edited 2011-05-20 20:16:47
    Tableflipper
    "Didn't God say something about being dutiful to your parents?"

Commandment 5 : Honor your father and mother

Exodus 20:12 : "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you." (you'd think that cases where people won't live very long doing that would nullify this, but it seems not...)

Of course, I suppose one has to live longer if the case is,
    Exodus 21:17 : “Anyone who speaks disrespectfully of father or mother must be put to death.

or

Exodus 21:15 : "Whoever strikes his father or his mother shall be put to death." (it does not specify on purpose, at least in this translation)

Moses said this stuff after God told him to IIRC.

There was also something that said "even if your parent is shitty respect them" but I forgot where it was.
  • "Also, this was because me dad demands that I keep my
    door open for some reason. I really don't see any reason why he wants
    my door open."

He needs to make sure you aren't setting fire to your bedsheets or something.

Have you asked him?
  • edited 2011-05-20 20:13:16
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah, so be nicer to your parents. God said so.
  • edited 2011-05-20 20:22:19
    Tableflipper
    OR ELSE

It seems that the putting to death takes forever to happen though, seeing how i'm still alive...

This is actually why we die of old age, biblically. Because almost no one can reasonably follow that.

Those who can follow it are actually immortals that transcended humanity in disguise.
  • It just bugs me that this is written off as teen angst.
  • I think it's a legitimate complaint.

Even if your parents technically have that right, it doesn't make it a good thing.
  • edited 2011-05-20 20:38:06
    ""Because they're the ones who feed, clothe and shelter you."

By that logic, a person who is kidnapped by a serial killer and kept in his/her home and fed poison until they die a horrible death is obligated to respect the demands of the serial killer.

After all, the killer did shelter them (kept in their home) and feed them."

parents = serial killers

they raise you only to make a suit of your skin
  • "I think it's a legitimate complaint."

So are a lot of other things, but they are expected to be lost once one "matures" and then appreciates shit in his teenage life.
  • You can appreciate things about your teenage life without looking back and saying everything your parents did was right and screw yourself for ever thinking otherwise.