If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Bill Donahue

edited 2011-04-18 22:06:06 in General
Okay, so today in class a girl was talking about Lady Gaga and how much she hates her and her music. Now, I'm pretty apathetic towards Lady Gaga - some of her music is pretty catchy, some of it is just meh. The girl said, "Did you hear? Lady Gaga's new song is all about how Jews are better and how Christians are stupid! It's making fun of Christians! And she's just doing it to get people to buy her albums!"

I pointed out that no artist who who wants to make money would be willing to alienate the devout Christian segment of their viewer base. It would ruin their reputation for life. Also, most Jews I know (including myself) are not Jewish supremacists. Seeing as how Jews have kind of been on the receiving end of prejudice for a while now, it seems stupid that any Jew would be a racist.

She said that Lady Gaga isn't a "real Christian" and all that stuff. I was going to bring up something about Scotsmen, but I didn't know much about Lady Gaga or the song in question at the time because I'm illiterate at the whole pop-culture game.

So I go home and look up the new song. It's called "Judas" - I looked at the lyrics. They're provocative, but not as "anti-Christian" as she claims. My definition of "anti-Christian" is "All Christians and Catholics worship a wafer god, burn non-believers at the stake, and get their rocks off on molesting little boys." Her definition of "anti-Christian" is "I don't believe what you believe, so DEAL WITH IT." And there is NO FREAKING WAY that they were Jewish supremacist. In fact, they weren't saying anything about Jews at all.

Eventually, I traced it all back to a dumbass named Bill Donahue. Bill does... distasteful things like blaming the homosexual victims of bullying, claims that gays are responsible for most child molestation, and even said once on air that a cabal of secular Jews who hate Catholics and Christians are controlling Hollywood and are trying to subvert our nation's "moral values." When a rabbi called him out for being an anti-semite, he tried to retcon the whole thing. (To be fair, there are a lot of Jews in Hollywood... but from what I understand, it's more because most companies and agencies would not accept them when they first immigrated to America.)

I don't have any ill will towards Christians. Most of my friends are Christians. What bothers me is when people don't do their freaking research first and end up blaming people for imaginary crimes,  and say stuff that REALLY PISSES ME OFF, then... L:HDGDFJS:AOSCMJOEWI{ANLDSKNFDSN::SDFJK:LDKN:LKSJF*angrish*

/rant

Comments

• edited 2011-04-19 08:58:49
    Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    Perspective? Some lyrics:

"When he comes to me, I am ready
    I'll wash his feet with my hair if he needs
    Forgive him when his tongue lies through his brain
    Even after three times, he betrays me

I'll bring him down, bring him down, down
    A king with no crown, king with no crown"

"In the most Biblical sense,
    I am beyond repentance
    Fame hooker, prostitute wench, vomits her mind
    But in the cultural sense
    I just speak in future tense
    Judas kiss me if offensed,
    Or wear ear condom next time

I wanna love you,
    But something's pulling me away from you
    Jesus is my virtue,
    Judas is the demon I cling to
    I cling to

I'm just a Holy fool, oh baby he's so cruel
    But I'm still in love with Judas, baby
    I'm just a Holy fool, oh baby he's so cruel
    But I'm still in love with Judas, baby "

~~~~~~~~~~
    Okay. And let's hear Bill's comments:

"This is a stunt... Lady Gaga tries to continue to shock Catholics and Christians in general: she dresses as a nun... she swallows the rosary. She has now morphed into a caricature of herself.”
    "She is trying to rip off Christian idolatry to shore up her talentless, mundane and boring performances. Another ex-Catholic whose head is turned around... Is this the only way to jet up her performance? This isn't random, we are getting closer to Holy Week and Easter.”

~~~~~~~~~~
    It's debatable whether Gaga's actually "a caricature of herself", or if her performances are "talentless, mundane and boring". In fact, I'll admit that a lot of her melodies are quite catchy. But can you actually look at those lyrics, to this song released so close to Easter, and think that she's NOT hoping to "shock Catholics and Christians in general"? Do you think it's inaccurate to say that she's purposely aiming at controversial imagery?

The problem with Bill Donahue is that his language is awfully aggressive, so it reaches Shoot the Message territory. I have that problem myself, you might notice. :-) But I don't think the argument is off in this case... you know, other than the quip about her talent.

You know what would've been cool? If this song had been about Judas Maccabeus or St. Judas the One Who Wasn't a Tool.
    EDIT: Also, looking at that song, I don't think your friend had to necessarily listen to anything Bill Donahue said to reach a conclusion that Lady Gaga wasn't a "real Christian", or anything of that nature. :-) I'll repeat the primary question: "Is this the only way to jet up her performance?"

• When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    To be fair, it is a catchy song. 

But what is it really about? To me, it just seems like she's constantly switching perspective throughout. The verses, second half of the bridge, and chorus are of Judas' lover, whereas the prechorus and first half of the bridge are from Judas' perspective. All it really seems to be is "All Girls Want Bad Boys", except the boy in question is Judas.

Aside from a rather bizarre bridge for a mainstream pop song, nothing in it is that out-of-place or abnormal. 
  • edited 2011-04-19 09:31:02
    Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    Well, there is the constant imagery of placing Judas in Jesus's place. Washing his feet with her hair (Luke 7:38), refering to him as a "king with no crown". You know, shocking the believers. What if it was a song about wanting bad boys, but the bad boy in question was... I don't know, James Earl Ray?

EDIT: For full effect, release this song toward the end of January (near MLK Day):
    "Free at last, oh oh oh
    Free at last, oh oh oh
    I love James Earl Ray
    And he makes me free at last

I have a dream, and he is my man
    I'd march by his side any day, yeah
    Free at last, oh oh oh
    I love James Earl Ray"
    Good point. I'm Jewish, so I'm not much versed in the New Testament. I just assumed that it switched perspectives and that the stuff she sang about actually happened to Judas.  

If this is the case, then Lady GaGa's just riding on shock factor.  
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    I want them to make a movie about Judas Maccabeus.
    In Hebrew school we watched quite a few animated vids on Chanukah. But it would be nice to see a new mainstream film about religion (that isn't The Nativity/The Passion of the Christ).
  • @GLORIOUSLeader - Well, there is Prince of Egypt, which I watched when I was younger.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^^^^ I hummed that to the tune of the Samurai Jack theme song :D
    ^^ That is an awesome movie. Now that I think of it, so was The Road to El Dorado. We need more traditionally animated stuff from Dreamworks. 
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Lady Gaga is a Christian?

Never knew that, never cared.
  • ^^ Sadly, Dreamworks' animation department was closed soon after the release of the Prince of Egypt, I believe, due to lack of funding. 
  • a little muffled
    ...You know, if I didn't know those were Lady Gaga lyrics, I'd assume they were death metal or something.
  • Lady Gaga + Death Metal = probably pretty awesome, if it's done right and doesn't totally suck