If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Rottweiler got banned

Comments

• edited 2011-04-24 18:55:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Oh cripes, this thread has become an even bigger shitstorm, and shows no signs of stopping.

> Rott: The problem, at least as I see it, is you aren't coming across as gentlemanly, but more casually condescending. Your previous statement is a prime example: whether or not you intended it, many will read that post as "I'm a Christian Gentleman, of course those liberals would be offended." If you can't see the condescension in that, then that may be the root of the issue.

Meeble speaks truth.  Rott, if you could change your word choice and phrasing to evoke less of a sense that your philosophical views are definitely and obviously right, that would help greatly.

> Condescension and a superiority feeling are important parts of being a gentleman. Gotta fight these Godless egalitarian deMOCKratic ideals that are responsible for the mercantilist, degenerate state of our society.

I'm rather amused how we're turning this mindset clock back so far that even big business is newfangled and progressive.

> Sure, I get that. That's the problem with not considering all opinions equal. If I recognize superiors (a necessary precondition for taking a role model to inspire cultivation of virtue), then Hierarchy's Box is open, and all the evils in the world come out (from a modern point of view).  However, I sincerely agree with the philosophers I do and disagree with most of the fashionable ones, so I can't be other than who I am unless someone proves me wrong by defining a form of progressivism that's both self-consistent and empirically true.

Yep, there's your problem.  You consider your philosophy to be definitely right, and contend from the beginning that others are proffering philosophies that are objectively wrong in some way, and thus taking it upon yourself to attack them and defend your own.  So you're already sticking things into an offense-defense frame from the beginning, then.

> any man enjoyed the liberty to make himself an aristocrat if he cultivated his mind, put on fancy clothes, and lived by old-fashioned values of Christendom.

uh...sorry to burst your bubble, but aristocrats were not made by people's choice of clothing, education level, or espoused moral values; they were made by families who got rich and then successfully stayed rich through several generations.

> I will let you know that the Moon People have been very supportive of my 2012 Senate bid, thank you very much.  

Can I endorse you too?

> I like the insinuation that I'm a bad person for talking about myself in a thread created, before I ever registered, for discussing my ban.

For what it's worth, I do not endorse that opinion, and I never have.

Also, talking smack about people behind their backs is what #yackfest does.  Here, we do it in front of them.

> [BonSequitur] What, the 'black best friend' thing? Really, now? You got banned for making a homophobic remark.
    > [Rottweiler] "Fear of sameness" or "fear of humans"?
    > [BonSequitur] You must realize making fun of the word, 'homophobia,' isn't helping your case any.

BonSequitur, while not presenting the whole picture, does have a valid point.  You know what the term "homophobia" means; mocking it (such as you have) does not engender rational agreement or emotional sympathy.

> Your problem is basically that you have a very big ego, not anything specific you say.

Yeah, pretty much.
  • At the risk of exacerbating the situation, I feel I must ask, what's your problem with homosexuality, Rott? Is it a biblical thing, or something else?
  • edited 2011-04-24 19:11:46
    Inside, too dark to read
    Bob: I don't accept that all behaviors are equal. The procreative embrace is superior to sterile acts of lust.

Of course, many straight people make themselves sterile. That some people prefer homosexuality to childless heterosexuality is no big deal in the grand scheme of things, until they use it for subversive purposes like changing the definition of marriage or changing school curricula.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^ Yeah, if you perceive people as making war on your cultural sensitivities, then this problem isn't going to go away.
  • edited 2011-04-24 21:25:05
    Rottweiler wrote:  The procreative embrace is superior to sterile acts of lust.

Ignoring, for a moment, your dismissal of gay sex as mere "acts of lust," would you care to explain why?  Or is this one of those "just because" things? 

Humans aren't exactly an endangered species, you know.  It's really not necessary (and in some cases, probably not advisable) for every fertile member of the species to breed.
    ^ Well, justification of morals via religious bases very often goes back to why someone would use those religious bases in the first place.  And any time you mention religion, the only final reasoning is one word: "faith".
  • edited 2011-04-24 19:52:06
    glennmagusharvey wrote:  Well, justification of morals via religious bases very often goes back to why someone would use those religious bases in the first place.  And any time you mention religion, the only final reasoning is one word: "faith".

Indeed.  Which is why I tend to be suspicious of anything too self-referential.  It generally does end up coming down to "just because."
  • edited 2011-04-24 22:01:08
    That, and "we will ban anyone people bitch about enough regardless of
    rules" is a very poor solution since it can easily lead to "bitching
    disproportionately about someone I don't like to get them banned will
    work as long as it's a somewhat popular opinion."

And this is exactly what bothers this one, and been bothering ever since Chagen's banning. Hmm, what this one finds even more weird is that some bas happened after people in question actually shown some improvement when it comes to behaviour that gets to the other people's nerves.

Because we have nothing better to do than insult tropers behind their backs. 

Oh no, this one insults people in front (she is not socially adjusted enough to avoid doing that) or not at all=)

Anyway, since condescension was brought up: this one can agree with it somewhat, but let's face it - there are lots of posters who share this attitude, yet people swoon over some of them. If there is a rule against being openly condescending, then it should apply to all - or not at all.

I 'unno, it just gave me the image of a dystopia in which not being a
    "good example" gets you publicly humilliated or destroyed. And since I
    gotta reach to come up with these reasons, I went with that.

Ahh, I see. It can indeed cause such associations, which this one has not noticed before
    I don't see why posters swoon over other condescending posters.
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    Freudian reasons, I would hazard.
    FWIW I think you also display some of those behaviors, just with the opposite political views, fewer obscure philosphy terms, and more use of sarcasm.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-04-24 23:59:48
    At least one of those methods of condescension involves a pleasant Wiki Walk to find out what the hell is going on and then end up reading about ancient foods when I forget what I went on said Wiki Walk for in the first place.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    No nobody cares that Rotty is banned? Okay.

Now we are off to have the Jail Bait Wait  Ban Wait Wait for the next person.
  • I'm pretty pissed about it.
    Aren't you Pykrete?
  • Inside, too dark to read
    @Lolotea: is this one of those "just because" things?

No one has explained what good it tends toward. With intercourse, we can see that the telos of eros is babies. Indeed, the science of biology even defines an organism's success by how many grandchildren it has.

Homosexual activism completely ignores the question of what this behavior tends toward (telos) in favor of insisting that it's equal to heterosexual behavior. Well no, they're demonstrably different.

Humans aren't
    exactly an endangered species, you know.  It's really not necessary
    (and in some cases, probably not advisable) for every fertile member of
    the species to breed.

Did I say every fertile human needs to breed? Of course, if most did abstain from breeding because childrearing is inconvenient, there would be a Tragedy of the Commons as everyone demanded their old age pension while number of workers plummeted. What I'm saying is that the telos of eros is the good of reproduction.

Homosexual behavior doesn't have that end. So these two things are different, not equal.
    Rotty!!!! -huggles-

I totally didn't mean any of the shit talking I was doing towards you, I just wanted to be cool. How are things going?
  • My name is Addy - Caissa is the Goddess of Chess, whom I serve in my capacity as the Pawn Slayer.
    Rotty, why is there something innately wrong with having sex purely for pleasure? Why can't that be a tangible benefit in itself, and why therefore is it immoral for those who cannot reproduce to have sex? There is no difference whatsoever between homosexual sex and heterosexual sex where reproduction is either not possible or deliberately impeded.
    @Vorpy: -hugs- Well this is new.

I totally didn't mean any of the shit talking I was doing towards you, I just wanted to be cool.

You mean "popular"? :-p

I'm not doing well. I've been in pain with fluctuating levels of internal burning where the upper right spine touches the shoulder, associated with headache and cold limbs.
    Awww, that's no good. I just got done shopping, buying book 6 and book 11 of Higurashi, and I think I may have restless leg syndrome.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    ^^ Ouch.  Sorry to hear that, mate.  If I'd realised, I might have been a bit more sympathetic.

Do you know what's causing it?
    @Vorpy: Oh, I hope that gets fixed soon.

@Warizi: No. I was in urgent care Saturday evening, and I wasn't having a stroke, heart rate problem, constriction of neck blood vessels, thyroid problem, or anemia. I have a regular medical appointment at 2:00 today, which might determine what I DO have.
    Well, Vorpy and Rottweiler, I hope you both feel better.
    I read that as "I hope you both feel together."
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Would one not logically lead to the other? 
    Oh crap, why did I invite the shippers.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Yes, get well soon, both of you.

(And feel together as a result, if you wish, I guess.)
  • Now that I've found a computer that actually works, I'd like to say, I'm glad you're okay Rott.  I know we didn't usually see eye to eye (on the admittedly few times we actually spoke), but here's hoping you get unbanned soon.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I have to say I don't agree with the majority of your views Rott, but as above I hope you get unbanned soon.

I also have to say your Griffon avatar you had on the main forums is adorable.
  • Rott/Vorpy.

Huh, I think you just broke my bee brain.