If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

1138113821383138413851387»

Comments

• Dinosaurs are a good one.

It's hard to tell when they belong to different worlds, but I get the hunch fantasy astronomers tend to be more advanced in their studies than their historical real-life counterparts.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    And they all seem to have a building-sized powered orrery.
  • Maybe I'm being ungenerous, but it's not clear to me that the author is not getting it as (literally) backwards as the original.
    After watching this video from that same author, I feel vindicated.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    A few days agho IL that there's a bunch of acronymous names for different types of ammunition. For example, "SAPHEI" means Semi-Armor Piercing High Explosive Incendiary.

me, an intellectual: by that logic, if you made white phosphorus armor piercing ammo, you could call it SAPPHO

• Only if this doesn't count as a war crime.
  • edited 2024-08-31 03:49:04
    There was another countrywide blackout, it "only" lasted 17 hours here this time, hopefully it'll be completely over soon.
  • edited 2024-09-23 01:47:23
    A bit closer to what you say, I've long had these musings about paladins. See, the word originally meant, basically, someone who lives along with the Roman emperor in his palace, and if I get it right it could mean anything from a personal strongman to a government office clerk. Only after the fall of Rome did the meaning stray further and further. So it's kind of like, in far post-post-apo future, there are legends told of "senators" or "lawyers" roaming the post-apo USA to clear the land of evil.

I just realized that The Brokers are that but in reverse order and also corrupt. Although whether the cards do a good job at representing these things is another matter.

Edit: orthography.
    Talking about tabletop games... this year I again sent my stuff to that one RPG scenario writing contest I sent my stuff to some two years ago. Didn't win either, but this time I apparently made the distinction of disgusting the jury the most of all contestants. Kind of didn't expect that, although in retrospect I should probably have guessed that browsing Wikipedia for fun parasites to turn into an Alien 2.0 might have that sort of result.

• Was it the "wow this work is unnerving but riveting" kind of disgust? Or was it the "stay away from us or we'll call the police" kind?

In other stuff...

> watch the "ewww, brother" meme
    > get recommended videos from whatever the Islam equivalent of televangelists is called
    > learn stuff
    Was it the "wow this work is unnerving but riveting" kind of disgust? Or was it the "stay away from us or we'll call the police" kind?

The opinions were mixed, but I assume that "I'm so not into that but I respect body horror as a genre (also ew)" is closer to the first one. (At least, they don't seem to have called the cops yet.)
    > watch the "ewww, brother" meme
    > get recommended videos from whatever the Islam equivalent of televangelists is called
    > learn stuff

Learn stuff about Islam, I take it?
  • edited 2024-09-25 08:31:55
    It sounds like they were trying to sound respectful, but ehh, I'd still count it as positive.
    Learn stuff about Islam, I take it?
    Yup.

Now I'm kinda curious about other religion's equivalents.
    It sounds like they were trying to sound respectful, but ehh, I'd still count it as positive.
    You may be onto something, now that I re-read their statements, but yeah, I'm gonna take it.
    Now I'm kinda curious about other religion's equivalents.
    Other religions' televangelists?

Well, there was that official anime series of the Aum Shinrikyo cult.
  • It's been a while since the last time I encountered a(n ex-)troper in the wild, and usually only when watching media stuff, so imagine my surprise when I'm watching political stuff and encounter tnu.

I, uhhh, e-stalked him a little bit. He doesn't seem to be doing worse than last time we saw him, so that's good. His orthography seems better than I remember. Also he is (was?) into Danganronpa.
    I, uhhh, e-stalked him a little bit.

We all do that every now and then.
  • edited 2024-09-30 20:12:55
    Perpetually Peckish
    tnu? After my time, I take?
  • tnu1138 is an ex-IJBMer, ex-troper known for being very paranoid, very clingy, very lonely. He was constantly fearful of being controlled, which usually manifested in two ways: his disdain for his (the US) government (he's some kind of libertarian), and his spelling (he suffers from strabismus, but refused to use spellcheckers because they tell him what to do, which he saw as erasing his identity). He would also constantly post about being rejected in any community he was in, and would grow overly attached to those who showed him affection, especially notable with girls who he then would lust after. He would garner sympathy over all this (since at least a bunch of that stuff stem from psychological/medical issues that he can't be blamed for) but those who approached him would often come to regret it when things got weird.

He eventually got banned from here, I don't remember why exactly but it was either posting death threats or violent fantasies against another user (who also had been one of those who reached out to him).
    I remembered the handle, didn't remember the story behind it, but most of all I'm happy that no matter how screwed up I might be by now, I still have a long way to go.
  • Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever end up like tnu (being an introverted anti-government guy with a slight case of strabismus and who spends a lot of time on the internet). If it helps, I'm definitely better than him at fitting into whatever community I grow overly attached to.
    Anyways, you made me think it's not us who's going to make the best use of those log cabin plans I posted in Buildings thread. (Perhaps you can forward them or something.)
  • The only place I know he's active in is YouTube, which for some reason no longer has PMs, so that won't do.
  • I learned about Alrosa Flight 154, or how sheer coincidence and one dude's dedication to the job he no longer had would end up saving up to 81 people.
    Had to replace a lightbulb in my car, couldn't get to that place. I check the manuals and turns out I need to rip off the bumper, because that's good design these days apparently. Okay, I try that, and lo and behold now after an entirely too large amount of time and mess I can get to the lightbulb.

My replacement bulb was not the right one.
  • That's quite an undertaking for a non-mechanic, isn't it. I don't think the auto-repair shop I worked at ever replaced a lightbulb, but I'm well acquainted with how replacing a little thing involves dismantling half the car.

At least the hard part is over, I imagine?