If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Karfreitag.

edited 2011-04-22 15:33:39 in General
[tɕagɛn]
Why am I supposed to consider the death of my savior to be a good thing? Yeah, yeah, dying for our sins and all, but still. Easter Sunday should be the good day.

They should call it "Bittersweet Friday"...

Comments

• Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    Sure. The "Good" part of Good Friday refers to Jesus's death being a necessary sacrifice that has taken away our sins. It's one of those conundrums of Christianity that our theologians go wild over, that Easter Sunday cannot exist without Good Friday.
  • edited 2011-04-22 15:48:09
    [tɕagɛn]
    DYRE:...What? What does Japanese have to do with the German name for Good Friday?

DISREGARD THIS 
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Is that even Japanese?
    Here's a better explanation, including mentioning the English specificness: http://catholicism.about.com/od/Good-Friday/f/Why-Is-Good-Friday-Good.htm
  • edited 2011-04-22 15:53:23
    ^^ 英語 (eigo) is Japanese for "English," as in the language.  I was going to say "lrn2english" because Chuggles used the German name for Good Friday instead of the English one, but because I felt like being a hypocrite I wrote "English" in Japanese.  And I only picked Japanese because I don't know how to say "English" in any language other than English and Japanese...
  • Well, "English" in German would be "Englisch". 

As for some random crap, the coolest language name in German is French--"Französisch".
    ^ Is language naming fair game for this thread now? Because I'd like to say that I much admire how the Latin-based languages translate to "Passover". I'm not a fan of the English-German naming of "Easter".

It only gives fuel to the neo-evangelicals claiming that the holiday is a pagan spinoff, when it's more accurately a Jewish spinoff. :-P
  • edited 2011-04-22 16:03:41
    Kichigai birthday!!
    ^^^ I wasn't really sure because the first result in google is this, which has a different domain than the regular japanese Wikipedia.

Ah, it's chinese.
  • edited 2011-04-22 16:04:10
    Chinese uses basically the same characters as Japanese, so that's why you got that, I assume.  If you looked at the list of different language Wikipedias, though, you'd see 「日本語」, and if you clicked on it, you'd see that the article is titled 「英語」.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I thought the only Japanese alphabet that shared characters with Chinese was kanji (I assume the English language name is written in katakana)
  • edited 2011-04-22 16:13:18
    英語 is kanji.  Eigo in katakana would be 「エイゴ」.

A lot of names of countries and such, and even some regular loanwords, are written in kanji instead of katakana.  Because that's just how it is...  well there's a reason for it but I dunno what it is, and I don't feel like looking it up.
  • edited 2011-04-22 16:15:36
    Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    Derailed into a language discussion, without the Latin-character alphabet?! Nein!

Inglés = the Español word for English
    Anglais = the Français word for English

Both are fun to know, if you live in North America (or Europe!).
  • No rainbow star
    English is English for English! :D
    *SYSTEM CRASH*
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    And then there's Aleman, which is just stupid.