If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2016-02-02 18:20:12
    Congratulations!

Speaking of studying, I've been working more on my thesis recently, after my professor told me that the pre-project thing got accepted, so I can get going with the main body.

Unrelated to uni but related to studying, set theory got much easier once I switched to a guide that starts with babby tier logic and not theory of theories or whatever it's called.

Edit: Ninja'ed, but I get to post this:

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Heh, this is quite on the point. "I study math" is like the closest thing we have to "I am a wizard in training", feels like. Programming is probably the second closest.
  • I feel so much safer knowing that one of the peeps voting on whether or not our planes are going to uselessly kaboom kebabs wears shoes with comics printed on them. 
  • edited 2016-02-04 01:28:15
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I feel so much safer knowing that one of the peeps voting on whether or not our planes are going to uselessly kaboom kebabs wears shoes with comics printed on them. 

Please enlighten us on the details of Irish politics.

Or wherever it is that this is from.  I remember reading you're Irish but I'm not sure.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    why does a fast version of this (or some similar music) play in my head after every time I crack an awful pun

• Dutch, did an international year in Ireland. Had a tour of the Parliament equivalent by a Labour party MP equivalent, and he wore those shoes, and the vote on whether or not Syria is gonna be bombed is coming up in a bit. Someone in front of us at the security check was actually bringing crossbow arrows in his bag, and someone cc:s multiple amendments to his own draft constitution to the entire Parliament multiple times a day. Despite that you see plenty of odd gaffes pop up in the news, I now assume there's so much more of that stuff behind the walls of government buildings everywhere. The world truly is a glorious circus. 
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    The important part is, which comics? Superhero? Franco-Belgian?
  • It was faded, but I think it was a Roy Lichtenstein thingie.  
  • I wish there were more questions to optical illusions that had answers besides "actually, they're the same size/color", "doesn't actually move" or whatever so that they aren't so predictable.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Why does social commentary push the jargonism so hard?
  • Accumulation of terms that goes back to the ancient Greeks/Chinese/etcetera. Any field that verges into philosophy has to sooner or later deal with the forerunners, either to support one's argument or to debunk said argument. You can't really invent any system of thought from scratch without bumping into people who have created vaguely similar concepts, so you have to say "it's like X's Y but vaguely different, so I'll call it YZism" (and if you're lucky, you'll make your mark by forcing people to use jargon you invented). This goes doubly so when you're in an environment in which everybody uses the jargon. 
  • edited 2016-02-09 03:16:13
    I've been dredging through old threads. Good times.

I wish we had more users. Y'all should post more often to make up for it. 
    Doin' my best. I guess.
    The balloon/fire part of today's lab activities was less exciting than I expected it to be.

^ don't tell me, let me guess:

Astronomy students are hit the worst. They come in thinking Carl Sagan, then get served a deadly algebra cocktail. 

• edited 2016-02-09 23:46:36
    Reminds me of our professor getting all excited on doing a test on the torsion test machine we had just built. I don't think we had any interestingly "flashy" experiment during our courses.

Besides that, despite the fact that I haven't practiced in ages, I've noticed I've gotten much better at understanding French. I can follow textless videos without much trouble.
    lrdgck wrote: »

^ don't tell me, let me guess:

Astronomy students are hit the worst. They come in thinking Carl Sagan, then get served a deadly algebra cocktail. 

Actually, basic-level environmental science lab class.  Demonstrating water's high specific heat.  An air balloon touching an open flame pops...basically instantaneously.  A water balloon touching an open flame...starts leaking after a while and then only pops after a whole minute.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Woohoo!Ash wednesday! Carnivals were fun
  • edited 2016-02-11 09:20:15
    Diet NEET
    Half the time I'm a rude asshole, the other half I sound like a philosophizing stoner. We can thus conclude I have a blunt communication style in every sense of the word.

Double update: now got assigned jerb as street salesman for green start-up, and apparently a co-worker is a dude who was swiftly ostracized from my previous tabletop group because he hit his then-girlfriend. Am looking forward to observing in action if Dark Triad traits are good for the jerb, am not looking forward to see what office politics will be like. 
    Dark Triad sounds like psychological slang involving domestic violence. That, or they're the collective bad guy in an epic fantasy story.

lrdgck wrote: »
    Dark Triad sounds like psychological slang involving domestic violence. That, or they're the collective bad guy in an epic fantasy story.

Considering that the Triad is a series of real-life organized crime rings, "Dark Triad" sounds like something out of a gritty urban/punk fantasy story, the kind that would have a secret society of evil necromancers carrying out activities in the absurdly spacious sewers beneath a major city.
    I still think it would be cooler if your workmate was an evil Chinese wizard.
  • If he complained about being a nowag incel, I don't think it would really be that much improvement.
    Spent some time browsing old posts on a moribund Warhammer forum where I was a regular poster some ten years ago. That's a weird feeling. Let's say I was reminded of it when I saw some familiar avatars on another one (it's not 100% true, but it makes a nice story). Makes me wonder what the rest of those guys do now, do they all have lives, still play the games, post on other forums.
  • No rainbow star
    Hey everybody! I'm alive!

When the heck did Vorpy come back?
  • This place is so dead that her unban, in November, is still on the first page of Activity.