If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Bizarre video game terminology

2»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Demo: audio-visual presentations that run in real-time on a computer, the main goal of which is to show off programming, artistic, and musical skills. (source: Wikipedia's article on "Demoscene", also has something to do with ROMs and ROMhacks)

Demo: short for "Demoman", a class in Team Fortress 2.

Demo: a one-eyed girl character associated with the Let's Play scene.

• No rainbow star
    Democracy?

• They're somethin' else.

Longplay: ... The opposite of a speed run? Fuck, i don't know.
    Origin: Video walkthroughs and lets plays.
    What weirds me out about it: It sounds stupid. Shouldn't it be called just a standard playthrough?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think a longplay aims to show of all or as much of the content as possible.  So this means not skipping cutscenes, letting dialog text load slowly, and probably getting all the sidequests and stuff.

They do require a fair bit of planning in some games if you want to get to all the content in a single playthrough.  Especially if you're taking the perspective of making choices to show off the sequence in the most appropriate fashion -- for example, you'll have to remember not to walk into the Underground Waterway area in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow early in the game so that its nameplate doesn't come up prematurely.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    Longplay means all at once.

Huh. Okay.

I often see this with arcade games and I usually go "Yeah no shit, you usually only have one way to go when you this."

Level/ Stage/ Mission/ Map: all mean essentially the same thing. Don't really know how to "define" it.

Contexts for each: Level, Stage and Mission are usually used interchangeably between japanese games. Level  for the most part gets Pac Man Fever'd thanks to television's gross misunderstanding of the medium. Map may have stemmed from RTS games, correct me if I'm wrong.
    What bugs me about them: I suppose because of my japanese game bias (and because I like dissecting the stuff i read and watch ala what kind of camera techniques are used in a film etc), I like the term "stage" (as in its a stage set for you to play in). Mission depends on context. Maps bothers the fuck out of me, since it doesn't mean "that thing you use to navigate around" (unless you're indeed playing an RTS, where you have an omniscient viewpoint anyway). I'm neutral on Level.

• My arms are falling off!

Hellsinker: The undisputed champion in confusing terminology.

Don't japanese arcade games and doujins traditionally use "Player Extend" to mean 1-up? (I actually prefer Player Extend because it makes sense as a term).

Loop: The arcade game version of New Game Plus
    Possible Origin: Japanese. Used often amongst the shmup crowd.
    What bugs me about it: Well, nothing really, except that I've been trying to find these youtube videos of all 8 playthroughs of Akumajou Dracula 68K that used the term, and now I can't find it. I think a 194X game is subtitled "The Loopmaster" in reference to this, and that sounds awkward, though.