If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why don't people learn to use punctuation correctly? (especially on the web)

edited 2013-10-30 14:41:38 in Webspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

This is just among the lastest of innumerable examples across the internet:

+1 For everyone nagging about the Groupees fiasco that is NOT the way to treat people that support you with their money when there are myriad ways to get everything for free and we chose not to go that way by principle.

How difficult would it have been to put ANYTHING -- a period, a semicolon, even just a comma (I know that's technically incorrect but that would at least have helped!) -- between "fiasco" and "that".  Because without any separation, the meaning of this (praising people for nagging) is confused with the exact opposite meaning (nagging is not the way to treat people).

These sorts of run-on sentences are ALL OVER THE INTERNET.  Especially common in places where it's easy to post comments or replies, such as Youtube comment sections.

Note that this is not about using punctuation incorrectly.  This is about NOT USING PUNCTUATION AT ALL, EVEN TO DELINEATE SEPARATE THOUGHTS.  It ends up sounding like the speaker just keeps on talking talking talking never stops to take a break he or she just has a lot to say does not give much of two shits about whether people understand him or her but just talk talk talk okay now that he or she has said it he or she expects you to know what they mean walls of text be damned no sense of readability no nothing your responsibility to parse their crap.

Comments

• Maybe they're using really old Commodore keyboards that have all the punctuation in idiotic locations.

Or they're morons.

• Relevant:

• There is love everywhere, I already know

These sorts of run-on sentences are ALL OVER THE INTERNET.  Especially common in places where it's easy to post comments or replies, such as Youtube comment sections.

I think it's mostly the informal "typing like you're talking" thing.

so you should really just calm down/try to not pay attention to it

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, I noticed that some people actually talk like that...and incidentally, people who talk without pausing (or pause at the wrong times) are also irritating to listen to.