If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

That "that that" is grammatically correct

edited 2013-04-12 11:21:38 in General
No rainbow star
Either that, or I've been taught some funky English

EG That that thing thing is green is no coincidence

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

Well, you tossed an extra "thing" in there, but otherwise it's true that that's grammatically correct.

• You can change. You can.
    Had had is worse
  • James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
  • No rainbow star
    Miller: I still don't get how "had had" and "that that" managed to get accepted over time. They feel so weird and awkward to use

AllNines: I have have double speak disease disease. Really really tragic
  • edited 2013-04-12 13:24:41
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I still don't get how "had had" and "that that" managed to get accepted over time. They feel so weird and awkward to use

The first "had" in "had had" is an auxiliary verb. It adds functional meaning to the word; in this case, it adds tense, establishing it as having happened in the past.

The second "had" is the main verb.

So, saying "He had a drink" tells you that the man has had a drink; saying "He had had a drink" tells you that the man had had a drink at some point in the past. Both are grammatically correct, but the second sentence conveys a different meaning to the first.

Here, have a wikipedia.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

the "that" situation is similar.

compare "that shit cray" to "that that shit was cray was cray".

• But you never had any to begin with.

I have have double speak disease disease. Really really tragic.

Please insert your PIN number into the ATM machine.

• No rainbow star
    Lazuli: That "that that that" that is being talked about
  • Please insert your PIN number into the ATM machine.

Years ago there was a shoe store here whose commercials proudly proclaimed their location was right off "Interstate I-270". Drove my mom mad every time she heard it.