If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

þe Olde Political Compass

edited 2013-04-09 08:21:08 in Politics
But you never had any to begin with.

So I'm sure some of you have heard of this before. The test has its flaws, but it's still a fun little exercise. So, take the test, post your coordinates, and I'll update the handy graph. And try to keep it civil. I know you guys are normally better for this, so. :P

Comments

• You can change. You can.

didn't we have a thread for this with bonsequitur deconstructing the questionnaire or whatever?

• edited 2013-04-08 17:30:16
    Tech support

Economic Left/Right: -6.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.92

^Possibly, but this is vanilla, good luck finding it. 

• > using vanilla's search engine

> not using Google

Here.

As for the test, it'll be interesting to compare the results I'll get now with those I got years ago.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Economic Left/Right: -4.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13

Sounds about right. I've always been on the lower left, though exactly where in the lower left jumps around all the time.

Still the test is largely bullshit. With some very obviously leading questions, and outright nonsensical stuff like "some people are just naturally unlucky" etc.

• a little muffled

Economic Left/Right: -4.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.21

Those are actually pretty different from two years ago, huh. I don't think my political beliefs have changed that much, either. I guess some the "strongliness" of some things has changed.

• Economic Left/Right: -4.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Boo, I wanted to be a centrist.

Also, I'm apparently a contrarian.

• a little muffled

I don't know if it's a function of the test itself or just the kind of people who hang out in the same parts of the internet as I do (probably a bit of both, but more the latter) but it seems like every time I've seen this thread (and I've seen in many times, on many forums) almost everyone ends up lower left.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Charity did it on BTL, he even made a chart of all folks who took it. As far as I remember, I fell somewhere below the centre and was farthest to the right.  Anyway, I'm taking it, let's see if anything changes.

• edited 2013-04-08 20:55:58

Economic Left/Right: -3.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Economic Left/Right: -1.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64

Heh heh heh, I'm the frickin' Hollande.

• edited 2013-04-08 19:46:52
    Silence is golden.

Economic Left/Right: -0.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

I've been pretty consistently moving toward the purple square each succesive times I take the test. How droll.

• Apparently we're a diagonal.

I wish I could find my old results.

• No rainbow star
    Economic Left/Right: -5.75

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.54
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Should I take this again? [y/n]

• edited 2013-04-08 20:21:06
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

do it

all the cool kids are

• No rainbow star
    do eeeeeeet
  • as

Bit more left than I expected.

• Economic Left/Right: -2.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.05

Some of the questions were pretty misleading or prone to misunderstanding.

• Yeh... I specially dislike those "Dental health is good and everyone should brush their teeth everywhere, all the time!" questions.

• edited 2013-04-08 21:39:52
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Economic Left/Right: -8.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92

I don't recall what I got last time I took this. I still think it's outrageously stupid, though.

This is also pretty inaccurate, I'm not nearly as Libertarian as this thing paints me, it's just that most of the pro-government answers involve consenting to some Very Bad Things (trademark).

• Economic Left/Right: -8.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Some of the questions raise red flags, honestly, but all the same the result seems about right.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

-0.62, -5.33

Some of the questions were pretty misleading or prone to misunderstanding.

Very true. For example, I answered "agree" to "it's a waste of time to try to rehabilitate some criminals," because yes, that's true, as sometimes it won't succeed, but it doesn't mean I don't support trying, which I think is what they actually meant to get at.

• If you support trying then clearly its not a waste of time.
  • edited 2013-04-08 22:48:42
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well, sort of. Depends on how you interpret what a waste of time is.

The way I was thinking of it was that if you try to rehabilitate someone and fail, then yes, you have wasted that time, but it's time you have to waste if you want to rehabilitate other people. If that makes sense.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

If you take the question at face value then YES, it is a waste of time for SOME, obviously.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Some of the questions also lack current political salience.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Economic Left/Right: -10.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.41

I am the leftiest lefty. 

• Shit, son. If I didn't know better, I'd be throwing irons on you for your bolshiness.
  • Damn, I've been out-lefted! Time to go home, I guess...