If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This VFX stuff

edited 2013-02-25 20:46:54 in Meatspace

I've been hearing about the shitty way that the big Hollywood studios treat VFX workers and it bugs the shit out of me (they protested last night)

Movies are so VFX-reliant and this is how you thank them? By paying them absurdly low wages and/or outsourcing their work?

(I know outsourcing is popular, but still)

Comments

• I know a lot of people in the VFX biz, so it's pretty despicable how they cut off someone who attempted to bring this whole mess to the attention of the public while he was accepting an Oscar. They even used the Jaws theme to trick viewers into thinking that his speech was going on for too long. Cute.
  • I didn't watch the Oscars, but that sounds shitty of them.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Okay, I've never been a fan of the Oscars, but I had a little respect for them. But that? That's fucking disgraceful.

• I think I may have read too much Deadline recently

But thanks to this VFX stuff I think that I officially hate Hollywood now

I don't ever want to go into showbiz

• edited 2013-02-25 21:49:14

It sounds like something out of an Orwellian dystopic drama, really.

Y'know, the part where the protagonist is trying to inform the world of the terrible secrets of the government/corporation(s) only to find out to their horror that their message was censored.

• It should also be understood that Hollywood execs will not hesitate to take advantage of people, especially artists, even if it only saves them a few dollars. Even if you put out the best damned work you can do(which seems to be the case with Life of Pi's now bankrupt effects house Rhythm & Hues), they probably won't pay you accordingly anyway. Hell, they probably wouldn't care if your job was outsourced to some guy in India if it thickens their already fat pockets.
  • "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Is it wrong that my first thought when hear "VFX" was this guy?