If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: There's no dislike button on Facebook.

edited 2013-01-17 16:30:03 in Webspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Y'know how you can downvote a video or a comment on Youtube?

You can't express disapproval for a page on Facebook.  This bugs me.

Basically this reinforces (up to a really high point) the "spam everybody until you get enough positive response" model.  Because there are little to no negative consequences for doing so.

Comments

• if only it wasn't for that whole "no bad publicity" thing, then you could just comment on something / someone being stupid.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Facebook shenanigans can already be pretty damaging to peoples' personal relationships, a dislike button could only make things worse.

• Trivializing negative feedback like that in an environment like facebook can only have catastrophic consequences...

... Dislike button, now!

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Facebook's primary purpose today is as an advertising platform.

There is no way in hell you could ever convince the people behind the site to add a dislike button to anything.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Y'know what was one of Facebook's stupidest moments?

During the 2012 U.S. presidential campaign, I once searched for "Barack Obama".  (And only once.)

The first search result, coming above results involving the name "Barack Obama", was "Mitt Romney".

I think it came with a little "sponsored" tag or something.

That'll happen, yep.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Super Lazuli - it may be an advertising platform, but if anything that gives even more reason to add a dislike button. It gives you another set of data points to see what demographics respond negatively to certain subjects and presentations. Giving advertisers an additional set of metrics to work with is gold if you can make the upkeep to implement, maintain, collect and measure them cost effective.

That'd be valid if Facebook cared about giving advertisers accurate data as opposed to data that will keep them happy and thus, on the site.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

A dislike button might make people whose stuff got disliked a lot leave, thus decreasing the site's value.

No, I think Facebook is less of an advertising tool than a way for advertisers to (1) think they are able to control memetic virality in a rigorous, marketable way, and thus end up (2) waving e-peens the size of their number of likes.

^It being a shitty advertising tool doesn't mean it isn't one.

Just because it's an advertising tool doesn't mean it's successful at generating virality on demand.

did say it's a shitty advertising tool.

@Anonus: I'm wondering whether I should act like Donald Trump in being obnoxiously self-important and declare that I'll start using Google's +1 feature if they implement a -1 feature along with it.

Then again, it's pretty clear that I'm not the target audience of these sorts of tools.  The target audience is, most likely, casual users who browse the web looking for whatever, see something interesting, and say "oh, I wanna tell my friends!".

Rather than someone who actively thinks "I'm going to use these as strategic tools to influence the marketplace of ideas", or "these are useful targets of social campaigns", or "I will use my list of likes (and dislikes) to establish a public persona and also contribute public support/advocacy (or the opposite) for things I like (or dislike)".

In other words, taking advantage of casual users who don't think through the consequences of their actions. :P

In the meantime, I found this commentary, which lists two reasons why Facebook doesn't want a dislike button: http://readwrite.com/2011/04/25/no_haters_allowed_why_a_dislike_button_is_not_coming_to_facebook

• In other words, taking advantage of casual users who don't think through the consequences of their actions. :P

More like, when a normal person says they like something, it's just because... they like it, and aren't doing it to try to further their agendas.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

A major reason to not put a dislike button is to prevent abuse (anonymouse is legion guiz XD types would be all over that), and mainly because negative feedback in an environment like facebook isn't going to lead to anything productive.

I forgot the exact term, but generally you want to focus on rewarding good things with positive feedback than punishing the user in this case.

^^ But the result you get from that is that, say, people look like they like pictures of puppies on the internet than their favorite foods, and they like their favorite foods more than they like their family.

Unless you were to force everyone to like or dislike everything, you're going to get likes based largely on accessibility (people talk more about cute puppy pictures than pictures, and puppy pictures are more prevalent than family pictures) and intensity (there are a few people who will seek out things related to causes, or look up mentions of their school or company, but relatively few, and some of those are paid to do it).

• Has friends besides tanks now

I read the title as "IJBM: There's no dick button on Facebook" just now. -facepalm-

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Did Dick Button get banned from Facebook or something? Man, it's almost as if they hate figure-skating!

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

R.I.P. Dick Button: ????-2013

• What annoys me is when someone posts that their relative has died, and you feel really bad if you like the status. It's like the equivalent of saying "Your mum died? Shame. :D

There needs to be an "appreciate" button.

• "But the result you get from that is that, say, people look like they like pictures of puppies on the internet than their favorite foods, and they like their favorite foods more than they like their family."

You're not supposed to take them literally. And there are dysfunctional families.

Likes are a popularity contest. Most people who dislike an online submission would have just skimmed over it. Only when there's a concerted effort to spam dislikes such as with the Baby video or attempting to disregard comments that you disagree with does it get widespread use. They tell you nothing about the quality of the thing itself; hell, even awful, tasteless comments get plenty of upvotes and few downvotes. You might as well use the Report button to remove false or misleading submissions than bother with downvote wankery.