If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Life is suffering"

edited 2013-01-14 19:18:28 in General

People who say this are always really vague about it, or else have outlandishly stupid justifications. I don't know how people take this seriously.

Life being Dukkha does make some sense though. 

Comments

• edited 2013-01-14 19:23:27

Well, the only times I've ever heard it used have been by whiny White Girls with nothing better to do but bitch about how daddy got them a maxPhone series GT4X for Christmas and not a maxPhone series GT4X² like they wanted. With that said, I don't think anyone takes it seriously (excluding its usage in religious contexts, naturally).

Also, Myr! I fucking missed you dude!

• No, Soti was British.

• Life being Dukkha does make some sense though.

I usually see it used this way... but I've been hanging out more with economists and less with edgy teens.

• I don't think that you can take this statement and refute it on the basis that it isn't true for everyone, or because some whiny kids said it. It's certainly true for some people.

The last guy I heard say it certainly had every reason to.
  • Well for people with horrible diseases or bad luck it can be true, but I don't think it works as a sweeping statement.

• Of course it doesn't; almost nothing but the most general of observations do.
  • Didn't this phrase originate from Buddhist teachings, that life is full of things that can cause suffering?

• You can change. You can.

Yup.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I just learned what it is: Morning classes until noon, then a 3 to 11:30 night shift at a call center. to get home at 1:00.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

From a certain standpoint, I think that it's a perfectly valid assertion. The problem lies in the ambiguity of the phrasing: There are many ways to interpret the word "suffering," and applying it in the simplest sense (prolonged emotional and/or physical turmoil) really doesn't work here.

Also, Myrmidon, why must you beat this dead horse?

• It's his calling. It is simply what he was pooped out of his mothers womb to do.

• Bob!

I believe you mean queefed out of my mother's womb.