If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Run-and-gun games (i.e. Contra, Metal Slug, Gunstar Heroes) = shmups

edited 2012-12-20 01:30:00 in Media
My arms are falling off!

It really bothers me when people group RnG games into the same category as games like Gradius, Touhou, Mushihime-sama, and Raiden.

RnG games to me aren't shmups so much as platformers with more firepower. Going by the RnG = STG logic, I guess Super Metroid is also a shmup.

Comments

• Do people do this?  Anyway, it's obvious that they're two totally different kinds of games, so I feel like if anyone did group them together, then it's probably just because they don't have much experience with one or both genres.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I can see the superficial similarities, but no, those are definitely different genres.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I can see the major similarity here -- evasion and deployment of ridiculous amounts of firepower on a 2D plane. The major difference is in movement options, where the Contra-type games have gravity and the movement limitations that come with that. The essential mechanical focus is very similar, though. 

• My arms are falling off!

DYRE: It happens on the wiki. I see Metal Slug and Contra get filed into the shmups category in examples lists from time to time.

• edited 2012-12-20 02:33:32
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I've never seen this but I also don't really hang out with shmup fans (that's one of those genres I really like but suck at, and your acceptance into the shmup-fan circle has a lot do with how good you are) so perhaps I'm simply not looking in the right place.

Also speaking of run-n'-guns, you should all play ActionFist! It's a bit like a cross between Contra and Outland (or Ikaruga if you don't know what Outland is).

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I sometimes mistakenly use "shmup" to refer to run-and-guns because R&Gs are very similar to beat-em-ups, and so I go melee:beat-em-ups::ranged:shoot-em-ups.

• They're somethin' else.

^^On that note, DEFINITELY play Alien Soldier. It's a single player Gunstar Heroes made AWESOME! Really technical, and super hard, but highly rewarding.

• It's a single player Gunstar Heroes made AWESOME!

Hey, Gunstar Heroes is awesome. Alien Soldier does have better graphics, more dynamic gameplay, bigger difficulty and is generally cooler, but that doesn't mean GH isn't awesome too. Plus, it has a two player mode.

I love GH.

I dunno i'm drunk lemee alone

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I love GH too and I'm not drunk.

• Pssssst.

Play Intrusion 2.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214970/

It's like Bungie's old Abuse + Metal Slug + a Bolt Thrower album.

• edited 2012-12-21 09:32:05
    Silence is golden.

It's a single player Gunstar Heroes made AWESOME!

That's a description more fitting of Gunner's Heaven.

Gunner's Heaven is awesome, you should play it.

SO MANY RECS MUST PLAY THEM ALL

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Play Intrusion 2.

Don't. Really don't. It's a bad game with bad controls and bad physics.

I was really pleasantly surprised with Vindictus. It's an MMO that actually uses physics objects well, usually as weapons via the grapple key. You can also grapple enemies, but unlike most games, you get a bunch of context-sensitive throws to use as well. Depending on the conditions of the fight, you might slam them into a wall and elbow rush them, throw them into another bunch of enemies or simply break them against the ground in front of you. You can also send enemies right through breakable objects.

That's not to mention the general mobility and tempo of combat, either.  

• edited 2012-12-21 13:25:10
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

This was the wrong thread. 

POST RELOCATE GO.

• @Crimson: Says you, I wish more side-scrollers would handle like Abuse. (I will admit it's very floaty, though.)

Also I got it on a sale so I can't complain.