If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Horror

edited 2012-12-19 15:39:34 in Media
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

So, what's the deal with this stuff?

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Because people like being scared.

For some reason.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

A proof that people are fundamentally less rational than irrational.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I hate to feel dread. So I don't like this genre at all.

• edited 2012-12-19 16:06:16
    They're somethin' else.

Hit and miss for me. I don't like feeling scared in real life, so if this genre in all its forms starts making me paranoid, i cut back on it.

• edited 2012-12-19 16:29:09
    Has friends besides tanks now

I like the idea, and if done well, it gets to me, but I'm very picky about which form of media does it, e.g. it's just about impossible to scare me through literature, but I fall for jump scares pretty easily.

• edited 2012-12-19 16:35:05

I have little to say here except zombies need to go.

Hell, trend bandwagons for horror in general need to go.

Also The Walking Dead is overrated and so, so whiny. I'm getting tired of all these stupid zombie stories being so unrelentingly and unhelpfully misanthropic.

EDIT: That much said, the GAME OF The Walking Dead is excellent.

• I like being scared.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Boo
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I'm getting tired of all these stupid zombie stories being so unrelentingly and unhelpfully misanthropic.

I am tired of people who wish for a zombie apocolypse and even more tired of people stupid enough to think it could actually happen.

It's possible to do zombies well, but it's really hard.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Dawn of the Dead (2004) still gets me on sheer style.

(Not that it is winning any other categories <-<)

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

It has the awful fast zombies though. That is unforgivable.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I don't get what's so bad about fast zombies.

• Poot dispenser here

HL2 backlash?

• edited 2012-12-19 21:02:01
    I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

There's less tension when you have zombies sprinting everywhere, at least to me. The idea of the slow-moving horde that never tires is a more interesting threat then these zombies that are guaranteed to catch up with you.

That and Dawn of the Dead had a perfect opportunity with the TV and they just shut it off because lol survivor logic.

Left 4 dead had something interesting going with the way the virus mutates and the special infected, but the base infected were just "run at player get cut down" and were more of a nuisance than a threat.

I can't attest to the quality of the game otherwise, but zombiU at least seems to be doing a good job of making every encounter incredibly risky.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    I personally feel like jumpscares are a bit of a low point in the horror genre. I especially hate "horror" that relies entirely upon them, such as those stupid Paranormal Activity movies.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

such as those stupid Paranormal Activity movies

:|

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Honestly the infinite road was the most horrific thing to me. I don't know why but those weird faces in the tunnel

Spoiler:
    and the one that looks at you as you leave
    still scare me whenever I think about them.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    Okay, maybe the Paranormal Activity franchise doesn't really count as "jumpscares and nothing else". But you know what does? Slender: The Eight Pages. Gotta be one of the most boring games ever made!
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Can't comment there, I haven't seen it/played it.

• Slender Man in general has become overexposed, I think.

Also, too many writers imitate H.P. Lovecraft too slavishly and miss his point. Many "Lovecraftian" monsters really...Well, aren't, aside from being clearly non-human forms of life. Or unlife. But their motivations are all too predictable most of the time.

• You can change. You can.

The first Paranormal Activity is actually much more about creating an atmosphere based on a very relatable concept (You know, trying to sleep and hearing noises. Is it the wind? Is it your imagination? Or is it Satan masturbating to the sweet thought of your blood dripping from his knife as he continously stabs your eyes) which is why it's so great.

• The second one is about how everyone loves dogs and babies so if you just put a dog and a baby in a movie, everyone will love it automatically.

There are very few proper jump scares in the movie, yes.

It's also about a demon fucking with you just because.

• edited 2012-12-19 21:55:07
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Most of the jump scares in Paranormal Activity (at least, the second one, which I actually saw), were jokes. Like, a bird hit the window at one point. On another occasion, the teenaged daughter screamed...because somebody forgot to flush.

• edited 2012-12-19 22:01:33
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

...okay, fine, I'll admit it — I haven't actually seen any of the Paranormal Activity movies, mainly because the trailers made me think they were all just really fucking idiotic. Given this new information, however, I think maybe at least I'll watch the first and second ones...

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

The first one is pretty awesome. Can't speak for the others, though. 

Honestly, judging movies by trailers is...very not recommendable. 

• edited 2012-12-19 22:07:02
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Pfft, Satan doesn't use knives.

^Ehhhhh...it depends.

• edited 2012-12-19 22:10:31
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Honestly, judging movies by trailers is...very not recommendable.

A mistake I know all too well these days, yes, but I was much more of an arsehat 4 years ago than I am now.

As a general rule, you need to understand that trailers are mostly and with very few exceptions written and edited by PR departments and not often people involved in the project or people who have actually seen the movie. They just sell it based on whatever trends are popular or have proven to be economically succesful. Hence why Life Of Pi was proudly branded as "The New Avatar". Because that was a very succesful movie. Not because that's what Ang Lee filmed or what he intended for the movie to be.