If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Except that...."

edited 2012-11-18 17:57:17 in General
yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Everyone does this.

You do, I do, the President probably does it by now.

Let's all agree to find better ways to disagree with others that don't make all our sentences look the same.

Comments

• a little muffled

Huh?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Whenever someone disagrees with a post on a forum, usually above them, they will begin their statement of disagreement with "Except that..." and then follow it with whatever.

• Person A: blah blah something blah

• Person B: Except that's not true, blah blah something else blah.

I don't think it's that common, at least not outside the internet, but it's certainly a thing.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

He's annoyed when people start arguments with "Except that...".

I assume it's because he feels it is a condescending way to look like you are respecting your opponent's opinion when you are really not.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I dunno. I've never seen it used under the pretense of respecting the other person's opinion, but I guess that's just me.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I think it's a perfectly good way to start a counterargument, because it legitimises the other person's points to begin with. The implication is that the complete phrase reads "All that is true, except that [additional information]". It's a means of respecting an opposing viewpoint and the thought processes of another person in two words without invalidating your own thoughts on the matter. 

• edited 2012-11-18 19:13:07
    Has friends besides tanks now

I guess implication vs. explication makes the difference. Again, might just be me, since I never read the more peaceful implication(s) into fragmented sentences. Or, I guess, the former case (implication) just seems more dismissive, as if that one point completely flips things around. Or, that might be how I've seen some people use it.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Granted, it can also be used aggressively, where "except that" stands in for "how could you have been so stupid as to discount [additional factor]?".

• Has friends besides tanks now

Yeah. I guess that's what I see most often.

• a little muffled

Whenever someone disagrees with a post on a forum, usually above them, they will begin their statement of disagreement with "Except that..." and then follow it with whatever.
    oh okay

• a little muffled
    I love how that thread is clearly different.
  • I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Except they aren't, they are both talking about a word that is used in a smug way.

• ^ You forgot to put "that" after "Except".

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Except that I love how he misquoted the phrase in question.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

i hate it because it's a really awkward-sounding construction, and usually precedes some blatant misinterpretation of the point the writer is rebutting.

• edited 2012-11-21 22:46:41
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'm a sarcastic asshole so of course I love using this.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^ Except that you said that you're a sarcastic asshole yet you didn't say you hate using this.