If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJAmusesM: The pronunciation of "FLCL"

edited 2012-11-05 07:38:54 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So I took a look at the letters "FLCL", and forced to "pronounce" it, I decided that it sounded like "foal coal".

Then, much later, I wondered what the heck people were calling "fooly cooly".

Comments

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Fooly Cooly is used in the series for doing that which is forbidden or erotic. Fooly Cooly could also be referring to how Naota attempts to act cool and mature, only making things more awkward.

• a little muffled
    Also it's apparently meant to sound like English.
  • Your worth is 50 yen!

What I'd heard is that it doesn't actually mean anything. It's just supposed to sound like cool English.

Which fits the show, I guess.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

In the first episode, Haruko butchers an English/Latin medical term for spontaneous horn growth in humans, making the first few syllables sound like "furi kuri" or "fuli kuli." Then the expression comes up as a nonce-word/euphemism to describe... well, various things.

Also, consider that Japanese uses blocks of syllables instead of single alphabetic letters. The hiragana or katakana for fu ri ku ri are the closest that one could get to representing the letters F L C L without using them outright.