If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The "did the strikethrough get axed while nobody was looking" thread got locked

edited 2011-04-08 10:36:47 in IJBM meta
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
And it's partly my fault. :(  Since I derailed it.

I was hoping that that thread could continue endlessly until Fast Eddie would eventually relent and reinstate strikethrough on the wiki.  Heck, I'm totally willing to give up strikethrough on the forums to do that, since the wiki is where it counts and the forums are just a bunch of idle entertainment already.

Because as long as this thread was open, I could keep on finding examples of how the strikethrough is or can be properly used for productive purposes.  And then discuss each example and how the availability of strikethrough makes life better by reducing wordiness, organizing information more efficiently, and other ways.

Comments

• edited 2011-04-08 10:38:45
    the wiki is where it counts and the forums are just a bunch of idle entertainment already.
    lol
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    He did at least say he'd consider enabling it on certain pages, right?
  • edited 2011-04-08 10:40:39
    The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    the wiki is where it counts and the forums are just a bunch of idle entertainment already.

True. Mildly saddening, but true.
  • I'm curious about how the wiki is anything other than "idle entertainment" though.  Since it doesn't seem like anyone is using it for any other purpose, nor does it seem like anyone even could use it for any other purpose.
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice

Glenn, I haven't been banned yet, though I lose little if I do get it later. Should I create a new topic about finding the exceptions that Fast Eddie mentioned, and coming up with a way implement them without the strikethrough?

He isn't going to change his mind about putting them back in, regardless of any counterexample or reasoning put forward otherwise. So I wouldn't bother with it. He's like that child in the Twilight Zone episode... "It's a Good Life".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Good_Life_(The_Twilight_Zone)

But fortunately, like that child, you can still reason with him if it doesn't feel like you're undermining or going against his idea directly.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Good riddance. I could barely believe that this thread was even alive so long.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @Nyarly: What's wrong with the thread going on for so long?  You say that like it's a bad thing.

@BaronGrackle: You can, except that will be a reason to not re-implement it since people are already finding solutions to it.

@DYRE, @Komodin: Well, that was partly my being facetious.  But that is in fact close to his opinion of the forums--at least the parts not related to the wiki itself.

If you have major creative ideas, or collaboration ideas for the community that don't relate to the wiki, you're definitely better off creating your own site for it.  Or expanding on one of the existing spinoff sites, such as this one.

I think I'll just keep my distance. For all I know, Eddie may just dig in his heels on principle if people like me keep at him.

Oh, and for the record... someone in that thread said that I had made veiled insults and was being passive aggressive. On the contrary.... I'm pretty sure that my insults were relatively striaghtforward, and that I was being the regular kind of aggressive. ;)

(I'd been hoping to make him blurt out that most tropers did agree with him, after which I would've answered that that was all the more reason to appeal to consensus. But alas, he didn't fall for it.)

• The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    ^ Okay...?
    ^^ ...What.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ^^ & ^

Laconic: Person made comments that people were getting mad about but were mistaken about.
    Oh, you misunderstood. I was just temporary dumbfounded about how incredibly stupid some people can be.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ^ If you are dumbfounded by that, on the internet, that is truly sad.
    ^^ Yeah, but what can I say? The phrase "passive aggressive" gets misused a lot, and I am the type to clarify those things, even if it does make me look like a bigger fool myself.
    ^^ Well, not really dumbfounded. More mildly surprised. Not much better though. The very fact that I had such a reaction is strange enough.
    Aww. So I'm the only one who's been guilty of playing Xanatos wannabe in trying to direct an argument or trigger a response, only to fail in the overall purpose?
  • edited 2011-04-08 15:13:53
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Your point is...?
    ^ Well, if true, then it wouldn't be nearly so much a mark of stupidity as it would otherwise.
  • edited 2011-04-09 18:01:39
    INUH said:  He did at least say he'd consider enabling it on certain pages, right?

He did?  I must have missed that.  Last I checked, he was still on the "I'm the admin, and I'm not putting it back in, so there!" kick.