If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People bitching about the vague possibility of a new Marathon game

edited 2012-10-27 17:36:51 in Media
yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Every once in a great while, I visit Pfhorums, one of the few Marathon fan communities that's still active.

Today, I stumbled upon a thread in which people were reacting to this. Now, 98% of that document relates to Project Destiny, which is Bungie's new, in-development IP that is generally believed to be an MMO and possibly an MMO/FPS hybrid.

Scroll aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way down to the bottom, and you will see mention of a team being put together to also work on "a successor" for the Marathon series.

Now, you'll notice that there is a lot of very stereotypical OG Gamer complaining in that thread (and plenty of OMG I'M GEEKING OUT too, which is only slightly less annoying). The thing is, I am not sure where people are getting the idea that it's going to be a sequel, prequel, or anything of that nature from. "A successor" is a very, very vague term. You could consider Halo a successor to Marathon if you wanted to, and indeed, some do.

Hypothetically, if Bungie were to release a Marathon 4, or something like that, I'm almost positive that it'd get dumped on solely for being....well, a modern FPS. Which is what it'd be. I mean, it just sort of annoys me that people are bitching about how it'll be terrible if they change the jumping physics (you liked the jumping physics in Marathon? Really?) or whatever, when the game is, by all indication not even in development yet.

I suppose you could say it just bugs me. 

Comments