If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Youtube accounts linked to Google accounts

edited 2011-03-03 15:12:15 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
You know what I'm talking about.

Can't have a YouTube account without a Google account.  Can't sign onto YouTube without signing onto Google--which signs onto GMail as well.  Logged into a YT account linked to a GMail address you don't normally use?  Well, sucks to be you; now you have to log back out just to use your normal GMail account.

I'm actually really lucky in that somehow I have a "grandfathered" logged-on cookie so I still can use YT while independently logging into my most-used GMail account.

Comments

• edited 2011-03-03 15:19:26
    They do this?  That seems pretty annoying.

I don't mind having an account on one website linked with an account on another, as long as it makes sense (like, Google owns Youtube, and it's somewhat convenient to only need one account that works on both sites).

But still, I don't think they should have you automatically be logged into one site just because you're logged into another one.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Check the On-Topic Conversations forum at our parent site.  I made this a formal topic.
  • On-Topic Conversations

Um... no thanks...
    ^ Uh, dude, seriously?  Stop being allergic to it the way some people are allergic to teh gay.

Here's a link if you are so afraid of getting sucked into other threads or something.
  • I hate people allergic to teh gay.

"awww somebody says it's bad so it must be bad"
  • Guy doesn't like On-Topic Conversations. I don't like 4chan. Sue the both of us, why don't ya?
  • Sure.

-prints out a lawsuit and puts on a sexy form fitting suit with reading glasses-
  • Your honor, I'd like to present my first witness.

-unzip-

• So your preferred Google account and YT account aren't linked? That sucks.
  • Objection!

relevance.
  • Yeah, this is getting pretty annoying. It's official, Youtube sucks.
  • Boy, it has started sucking for quite a while now...
    It started sucking once they became the single dominant video sharing site.

Incidentally, if "sensitive" materials are posted on Youtube, that's the most likely place they'll get takedown'd.  And this is a problem for people whose claim to fame is their videos, such as LittleKuriboh.  (Note that the quotations marks are intentional--the material need not be actually illegal or even offensive for people to flag it.)

And that's why people should backup-upload stuff to other sites.
  • That's why YT flagbots are more annoying than spambots.

Because YT flagbots are stupid.

I flagged a bunch of test videos I made as inappropriate and copy right infringing (which they weren't because a video made of a blue square for 10 seconds doesn't infringe any copyrights), and they got taken down.
  • edited 2012-10-26 11:35:45

Well, interestingly, the OTC thread I made about this topic, way back when, just (finally?) got locked.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=12991840110A13000100

In retrospect, yeah, I see how it doesn't fit with the current OTC rules.

But feel free to continue the discussion here.

The latest topics:

1. Google "forcing" people to use their real names

2. Yet another layout change

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Vimeo, it is our only hope.

What about dailymotion?

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Really cluttered and videos sometimes take forever to load?

• Child of Darkness

Every website out there feels the need to have pointless design changes; they worry they'll be seen as old-fashioned and past it if they don't.  Which given the faddiness of the Internet, and particularly journalists reporting on it, is understandable, even if annoying.

• edited 2012-10-26 13:30:24

^^ I haven't used DailyMotion in years, haha.  I have an account there; I've uploaded like one video.

^ This is something that also seems to plague various other consumer goods industries--the need to make their product look different every so often.  I guess the idea is to draw attention to them?  It is a bit depressing how little marketing affects a product's content itself but how greatly it affects the consumer response to it.

It's also depressing how constrained we are as a consumer goods society (here in the U.S. and other first-world countries) that we pretty much just have to suck it up.  Say, when bags of chips go from 11 oz to 10 oz, or when Google starts demanding Youtube users to have Google accounts, we just have to deal with it.  The market kinda works, but only when a product is so bad that there's overwhelming negative response to it; otherwise, monopoly power dominates and reduces consumer surplus that would otherwise be present.

• Child of Darkness

It's like the model year changes on cars.  Sometimes, the changes are genuine incremental improvements, but especially in the US, there's the need to make gratuitous styling changes from year to year just so they can say THIS YEAR — NEW AND SHINY!  LAST YEAR'S — OLD AND TIRED!

The cars thing isn't quite as absolute anymore, but in the heyday of Detroit, it was predictable as the days of the week.  Every three years there was a genuine new model, but the two intervening years had to have pointless changes just to look new

It's the same crap as fashion.  Clothing and styles can be interesting, but the constant need to conform and follow the herd and pointlessly dismiss last year's anything is stupid and tedious and What's Wrong With The World (in part).

• What about veoh okay I couldn't say that with a straight face.

• edited 2012-10-26 13:38:43
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Clothing and styles can be interesting, but the constant need to conform and follow the herd and pointlessly dismiss last year's anything is stupid

If you really want interesting styles, go with avant garde art fashion and character design because they aren't on that annoyingly stupid spring-summer-fall-resort-winter schedule and you don't sit there watching seven shows from 'different' designers presenting the same floral print trend done the exact same way with the exact same prints but y'know, one has Gucci and the other has Alice&Olivia, so it's different!

I'm forgetting a really big point, but I think this is pretty much what's wrong with the fashion industry today (By today I mean all of label fashion's history ever). They've become engineers instead of architects.

Oh yeah, Veoh.  That's where I watched Noir many years ago.  Well, a few years ago.  It seemed like Hulu but with more uploading and less rules.  But apparently it's not anymore, and hasn't been that for a while.

And I really don't like how people have come up with expectations for things like there "ought" to be a new fashion line every year, and now there's a whole economy built around that expectation.  Same thing goes with consoles--seriously, I've been privately asking, why do we need a new generation of videogame systems every couple years or so?

• Child of Darkness

Well, two parts of that.  Every few years technologies have advanced enough that you can make a machine for a console-ish price that can do a bunch more in terms of computation, of course.  Now, there are some kinds of game for which that's just neat; it SUCKS to not be able to do what you want to do because you just can't with the hardware you have.  Simulation type things especially.  Simulation is all about making it feel as close to reality as you can manage, after all.

It's the forced obsolescence of other things that's the problem.  

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Youtube is still the best video sharing site for sheer convinience, but if things start to get too annoying there I would not hesitate to move offsite.

My account is grandfathered in from most of the newer bullshit, so I'm lucky there. 

• edited 2012-10-26 15:08:04

So was mine but they still forced me to link it to my Google account.

Thanks to legacy cookies I was able to stay logged in without logging into my Google account for quite a while, like a year or so.  But after that stopped working...well, I just deal with watching videos not logged in.  All that means is that volume defaults to 1/2 of max and annotations are turned off (including auto-replay), so I'm not missing much.

Thing is, I don't have a Google account. At least not one recognizable to Youtube.

Of course, it made a Google account for my Youtube account and then linked them, but I don't use that Google account for anything. 

• Google "forcing" people to use their real names

The problem I have with this is that it could be bad if you are a victim of Cyberbullying and Google decides to force you to give out your username, or the reverse happens when cyberbullies attack you and they noticed you have your real name instead of a fake one. Knowing the lengths the internet will go, I wouldn't be surprised if within a day or two, they come up with information of where someone lives and their social life just off their real name alone.

And then your life gets ruined. All thanks to Google forcing you to use a name. Always fake it. It's the safe way to do it.

You can decline.

But they ask for a reason. None of the options are just "I'd rather not", of course. Because that would be silly