If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Kindles and eBooks

edited 2012-10-17 23:02:37 in Media
No rainbow star

...Because I liked the discussion :<

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

For me it's the difference between driving sixty miles to buy a book and pressing a button to buy one.

Hmmmm....

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I use my kindle for comics, but get most of my books in print.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

For me it's the difference between driving sixty miles to buy a book and pressing a button to buy one.

Hmmmm....

On the other hand, for me, it's the difference between walking five minutes to the library/fifteen minutes to the bookstore to pay $20 for a book, or paying $250 for a Kindle and having to go through rigamarole to be able to buy books on it.

I actually got my Kindle because I completely ran out of shelf space in my house, then kept buying physical, hardcover novels. I have a few stacks of books sitting around my room now.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I have over a thousand books all shelved on bookcases, books in boxes to be shelved, and still yet more room.

I have... three bookcases proper, plus multiple shelving units I can put books on.

Well, see, my problem is that my parents have both at various times been English teachers and my mom won't throw out or donate any book for any reason, so my family has several walls that are just giant bookcases, and it's still not even vaguely in the neighborhood of enough.

Hey, Nan has forty years of accumulated books, and I have nineteen years of the same. :|

Although, looking around my room, I see what you mean. I have no shelving space in my room, at all, and I have... wow, six stacks of books just lying around. At least fifty books just on my desk, in its drawers, or next to it.

• edited 2012-10-17 23:54:45
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

the Brooklyn Public Library doesn't have eBook lending AFAIK, so dead tree books for me until further notice.

and even then I'd probably just end up amassing a sizable quantity of books that I'll barely read, much like my Steam library.

wait no never mind hahaha

>On the other hand, for me, it's the difference between walking five minutes to the library/fifteen minutes to the bookstore to pay $20 for a book, or paying $250 for a Kindle and having to go through rigamarole to be able to buy books on it.

Fair enough, I'm just trying to point out why digital distribution is important for people stuck in the boonies.

I love physical books but they're not all worth the effort.

Fair enough, I'm just trying to point out why digital distribution is important for people stuck in the boonies.

Yeah, I can agree.

I just think that the price of an e-Reader is also worth noting. Probably cheaper in the long run, but prohibitively expensive now.

• I'm a damn twisted person

I think the typical figure is you would have to buy 20 books on the e-reader for you to start saving money on book purchases.

Which I would end up doing eventually, but... dat initial cost.

• Paper is solid, tangible.

I'd say it's worth every effort if you can put into it.
  • edited 2012-10-18 00:59:45
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

plastic and circuitry are solid and tangible too.

• edited 2012-10-18 01:02:54
    Has friends besides tanks now

^ But dragging your finger across a touchscreen isn't the same as taking a page between your fingers and turning it over. Again, I don't want to slag on e-books, and especially in your case, it's entirely understandable, but it's something I would really have to adjust to, personally.

True, it's not the same and all things being equal there's an emotional aspect to physical books that activates the magpie collector part of my brain.

But objectively speaking, what physical books carry are symbols that universally convey information and ereaders are just more efficient at that.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Agreed on that point. It's just weird, to me, is all.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> mfw no-one reads scrolls any longer

I prefer books, but have nothing against e-readers in particular. What does make me sad, though, is all the different book shops going out of business. Kind of funny that video game retail chains keep on chugging, but book shops have gone the way of the dinosaur in much quicker time. And by "funny" I mean "tragic", because I really like book shops but don't care a mite about their video game equivalent. 

Basically, what Alex said.

• edited 2012-10-18 01:56:56
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^This I will completely agree with.

That said the 'game' store I go to that is also a comic/tabletop store is pretty sweet and has managed to survive for about a decade of my life at least.

But most game stores are soulless Gamestop types that try and encourage the scam job that is their used game market which both rips off the consumer and the developer.

The interesting thing about book shops is that smaller book shops will probably do better than large ones in the long run.

• edited 2012-10-18 04:10:20
    (void)

The reason Borders failed had less to do with the book part of their stores and more to do with retail decisions tied to their attempted embrace of selling CDs along with all their books.

The problem, of course, is that CDs lost every benefit they had over the MP3 player(now a smartphone feature) once prices fell and Amazon started selling DRM-free MP3s.

• edited 2012-10-18 05:48:29

or paying $250 for a Kindle

The kindle you'd actually want to buy (That is, the one that's an actual e-book and not a shitty pseudo tablet) is 120 dollars (US dollars, anyway). It's still an investment, but it's half the price you originally stated.

That being said, I don't actually own one, and I much prefer physical books, but kindle is a good alternative, and it offers great advantages for those of us who would have to import many of the books we'd want to buy.

The kindle you'd actually want to buy (That is, the one that's an actual e-book and not a shitty pseudo tablet) is 120 dollars (US dollars, anyway). It's still an investment, but it's half the price you originally stated.

I'm staring at my grandmother's Kindle right now. There's a price sticker on the top right of the box, stating $250.

That would be fantastic if indeed I had a credit card to buy things online, or if my debit card allowed me to purchase things over the internet.

Thus my comment about having to go through rigamarole to be able to buy books on it, and thus the massive price inflation as I believe there are a whole two stores in the city which sell Kindles.

• edited 2012-10-18 06:17:34
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

The only reason I don't have a Kindle is because the equivalent Android app works perfectly for me.

Though something tells me I'd be more hesitant to say that if I didn't already plug my phone into the wall every chance I got. Or if I wasn't so bloody used to 4-inch screens.

• You can change. You can.

That would be fantastic if indeed I had a credit card to buy things online, or if my debit card allowed me to purchase things over the internet.

His point is more that there's a cheaper and better alternative. Your own ability to buy it is irrelevant to that, though.

I don't really understand what you're saying. No, I guess I do, it wasn't a reply to me so much.

• You can change. You can.

More of a factual notation, but whatever.