If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Mitt Romney would cut PBS funding (subsidies exact wording) if president

Comments

• edited 2012-10-07 01:48:24

Hmm, I have relatives in the US, but Canada seems more pleasant, plus there's French.

I'd like to visit Japan, too. And Germany.

Edit: On the other hand, I'd have to get used to Canada's coldness.

• No rainbow star

^ Bah, -30 is nothing

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I thought Juan was on vacation or something. Blagh. Now I don't have someone in my general vicinity to pester.

• edited 2012-10-07 02:48:11

Me neither. Well, depending on how nearby you live to the Colombian border, I might be somewhat close.

I live in Panama City.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

What about daltar? She lives in Venezuela.

of course I don't even know if she posts on TVT anymore. Or for that matter, if you do. 

• Huh, the Panama/Colombia border is farther away than I thought.

I live in Maracaibo, right next to Colombia's north.

She stays put in the RP forum. While I am a Manga/Anime forumite.

• edited 2012-10-07 06:24:29
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Apparently Serbia is a boozer's paradise and the women there are very appreciative of Australian visitors, but the political situation there is volatile enough that even my libido's having second thoughts.

At this moment, the political situation is more desperately stagnant and hopeless than actually volatile, and I doubt it's going to change for a while.

Also, about a year ago the mayor of Belgrade introduced a ban on selling alcohol after 22h (only in stores, not clubs, cafes and the like), which kinda ruined that reputation and pissed off many locals and visitors. Luckily, the ban was overturned by the Constitutional Court only a few days ago, but the fucker won't give up on trying to reintroduce it.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Yes, but rule of funny. 

• But you never had any to begin with.

The UK is basically like the USA or Australia with better accents, so there's really no point going there.

Hey, we're nowhere near as bad as the USA. :|

*insert some generically flamebaity remark about Britain*

^^ I read something recently about the consideration to sell the UK police force to private businesses. Mind you, I doubt that would ever pass, but c'mon. The fact that it was even on the table...

• But you never had any to begin with.

I'll be the first to admit that the UK has plenty of flaws, but I least I won't go bankrupt if I get ill. :|

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Plus, the UK has the British accent, which ranks third only behind French and Australian.

So there.

French accent, humbug. They sound like drowning in their own phlegm, I say!

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

If I were to move to another country, it might be the UK.

Or Hong Kong.

• edited 2012-10-10 23:56:41

Why do people always talk about fleeing to the UK? Just because they strongly believe otherwise doesn't mean they aren't EXACTLY as polluted by racism, sexism, homophobia and xenophobia as America. I and many people I'm close to know that first-hand.

There are really very few places where you'll enjoy as much freedom as in the U.S. without one hideous drawback or another.

Japan is nicely secular if you can afford it.

You're really going to criticize the UK as a bad place to live, and then give Japan as a counter-example?

Not if you're not also Japanese, buddy. 

I've heard conflicting statements. From what I can piece together, though, Japan is significantly more hospitable a bit out from the cities but still within arm's reach of their benefits. There's also the semi-mythical "Gaijin Power" -- the powerful abilities you gain just by appearing Western and being in Japan. Such as being too intimidating for cops to stop on minor dismeanors, like walking onto a train without validating your ticket. 

That's true if you're a tourist or a businessman.

Living anywhere means settling down there and having people get to know you, or at least be aware of who you are. All of those benefits of a doubt you get from being a tourist vanish once people know you're in for the long haul. 

• edited 2012-10-11 01:36:59
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The main reason I could never live in Japan is that their justice system is just really screwed up.

That's true if you're a tourist or a businessman.

Living anywhere means settling down there and having people get to know you, or at least be aware of who you are. All of those benefits of a doubt you get from being a tourist vanish once people know you're in for the long haul. 

The blogger who coined the phrase lives there.

He's even been on TV. 

• The main reason I could never live in Japan is that their justice system is just really screwed up.

What, that they throw out all but the most impeccably airtight cases to cut legal fees?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

No, the fact that the courts actually have a guilty until proven innocent assumption.

• edited 2012-10-11 03:16:51
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

There's a reason Phoenix Wright is thin-veiled satire at the most unethical practices of Japanese courts.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-11 03:26:43

Strictly speaking, they do have presumption of innocence, to the point that even confession isn't supposed to be grounds to convict without supplying additional evidence to prove their own guilt.  In practice, well, things get messy with coerced confessions from months of interrogation, police tampering with evidence to make it look like the confessing suspect supplied stuff they already knew, etc.

IIRC there was something a while back about the police intimidating someone into signing a blank confession statement that the police then filled in themselves.  Which is kind of WTF.

• edited 2012-10-11 09:36:39

Everyone I know who has been to Japan (surprisingly, almost all my closest friends) had a wonderful time for the following reasons:

-No need for a car.

-Eating well and healthy is extremely affordable.

-People dislike foreigners, but are polite to them anyway.

-Talking aloud in public is considered more rude there, and you don't get that constant "crowd chatter" sound even in the most bustling public places.

-Everything is very clean and fresh smelling except for Tokyo's open sewer.

Hey, we're nowhere near as bad as the USA. :|

Yes, you are. The UK's media and popular culture hammers it into all of you guys that you can look down your nose at crazy, stupid, backwards America when the difference is impossible to even notice in day to day living and you have social problems exactly as ridiculous and harmful.

Your entertainment even constantly makes fun of Americans as fatter and less healthy when our obesity rates are very nearly tied and your cholesterol/heart disease rates are several times worse because yes, actually, the average UK diet is a whole lot more harmful.

NOBODY has a significantly superior country. America sucks, Britain sucks, Australia sucks, Canada just very mildly might suck less, and then virtually everywhere else is pure nightmare for an outsider.

I only nominate Japan because people leave you alone more even if they detest you, and if there's one thing I like, it's being left alone.

My friends have also seriously talked about moving to Thailand, only because a relatively small amount of U.S. money can buy you a whole damn plantation far, far away from civilization, if you want a really natural and beautiful place to live like a hermit. You only have to worry about all the slavery!

-Talking aloud in public is considered more rude there, and you don't get that constant "crowd chatter" sound even in the most bustling public places.

Hey! I don't have indoor voice!