If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Mr. Munroe, your next task...is to reproduce this world in Terraria.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

holy jesus

that is big

• No rainbow star

Should we spoiler our finds?

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-09-19 03:28:04

I'll just go ahead and say that the World 1-1 pits lead to what can only be described as Avernum.

I really want to see a map or something, because I mean, mother f-bomb that thing is huge.

I finally got to the right edge of the image.

I may have at one point hit the bottom edge, but I cannot confirm that yet.

• No rainbow star

They got a torrent up of all the images used

And why do people keep saying that this is Randall's "goodbye"? Freaking hell, people, if it was, I'm sure he'd announce it

• No rainbow star

Because the forums are going tits up, here's the magnet URI

Oh, it's composed of multiple images?

is that how he's preventing "view image"?

• More likely, it uses multiple images so your browser doesn't have to download an entire enormous image even though you'll probably only see some of it

• edited 2012-09-19 03:49:28
    No rainbow star

^^ Probably

^ Or that

The images are all coordinates. Highest it goes is to 13 n. Lowest is 19 s. Furthest left is 33 w. Furthest right is 48 e

^^Oh, that makes a lot of sense.  The page loads in reasonable time; that suggests the entire image is not loading at once.

• I tried to reach the left edge, got lost underground, and ended up reaching the right edge.

• Here, in convenient exponentially zoomable form.

xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de

• edited 2012-09-26 20:38:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Suddenly I'm sad that there's not more detail.

Oh well; when we make the world in Terraria we can put in more detail.

Wait, UE has Terraria now...

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-09-26 22:31:14

Yeah, it kind of puts it into perspective that it's mostly just the main surface stuff (which is still excellent), three mostly featureless tunnels that just go on forever, and a whole lot of completely blank white and black space padding like 95% of the map.  You could chunk off the entire top and bottom third of the image without even losing the easter eggs.

I guess it's a small world after all...

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-09-26 22:56:36

Yeah :(

I dunno.  It's still a hell of a lot more impressive than most webcomics would even bother with, but it's just distressing that my first pass through the thing, which I thought was a cursory glance and most of which was clicking through miles of blank tunnel, really did catch almost everything there.

Yeah, I won't fault Randall for not putting in any more detail.  Something of this size is already a pretty good load of work.

And to be fair, the real world is kinda like that...concentrated pockets of interesting stuff then lots of boring.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Maybe it's just me, but what loads of that map for me is not even close to the entire world that I saw on the actual image.

• I just checked the bounds -- that is indeed all of it.

• Yep, that's it. Seeing it broke the spell for me as well.

Does the left side of the world really consist of a flat area dug into the crust?

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^ That's just when it's loading...

I just checked the bounds -- that is indeed all of it.

The entire flat area to the right of the map does not even seem to appear at all.

• edited 2012-09-27 00:55:53

You don't get to the flat area in the original, it ends right before it with [the balloon guy].

That is what I meant.