If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Microsoft has a new logo

TreTre
edited 2012-08-23 16:23:01 in General

I know, I know, this isn't Heapers' Hangout, but they've been using the old one for 25 years. I think this counts as news.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I know, I know, this isn't Heapers' Hangout

What does that have to do with anything?

Anyway, regarding the new logo...I think it's probably a better logo. Still recognizable, but easier to put on stuff.

That said, it kind of brings Windows 8 to mind, which is bad.

• Eh, I usually think of HH in terms of logo talk and stuff. -shrug-

It's more fitting to today's Mikeysoft but I'm wondering whether it'll stay relevant if MS changes their tune on Metro Modern UI if Windows 8 tanks with consumers.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-08-23 16:32:08

^Windows 8 looks like a complete trainwreck for people who play PC games, and plenty of people like Gabe Newell have spoken of their disdain for the OS. So, there's one part of the consumer base that won't be happy.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Windows 8 looks like a complete trainwreck for people who play PC games

Especially for gamers, but I think it'll be terrible for everyone. It's designed for the point when everyone's PC has a touchscreen; Microsoft evidently doesn't care that that hasn't happened yet.

• Well, I think their widespread adoption of Metro across Win8 probably came as a result of Apple kicking their ass in terms of brand integrity. They were already starting to adopt it in everything but Windows starting way back with the Zune so I guess they figured that making Windows fit in with the Metro aesthetic probably was the last logical step.

That said, Windows tends to suck every other release starting with Me.

• Me

• XP

• Vista

Oy vey. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^ I was just about to mention that.

Also, Google has a new favicon.  As does Facebook.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I like it personally, it's very minimalist and I like minimalist. 

• edited 2012-08-23 19:40:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

It really reminds me of another blocky logo, like H&R Block (no pun intended) or something.

No wait, that's just one green squrae.  There's a logo that consists of a square divided into rectangles.

• edited 2012-08-23 19:59:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

It's AVG, the anti-virus service, that I'm thinking of.  Their logo (against an alpha background): http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-u8yF-JOmjk0/Tj4J1iK6riI/AAAAAAAAAcU/KDrKABJ7_tU/s1600/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2011.1209.png

Edit: Actually, that's not what I'm thinking of, but another one.