If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Nostalgia and things not holding up

edited 2012-08-20 15:59:16 in Media

Brought on partly by Cloverleaf's current obsession with The Powerpuff Girls I've been watching some of its Cartoon Cartoon brethren again. One of the things I watched again was The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, which people love but upon a re-watch I didn't really like. (I was watching the older, Grim & Evil-era episodes, and I don't remember if I thought the quality went up or down after it got split in two.)

It feels weird seeing old favorites not hold up.

Comments

• a little muffled

Yeah, I often avoid re-watching/reading things I liked as a kid for this reason. Especially when I remind myself that I liked Eragon.

Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised though. The Bartimaeus Trilogy held up really well when I reread it.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Especially when I remind myself that I liked Eragon.

I know that feel.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy held up really well when I reread it.

I know that feel too. In fact, I just got the prequel last week. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

• edited 2012-08-20 16:24:06
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Especially when I remind myself that I liked Eragon.

I know that feel.

Though I was pleasantly surprised to find the Justice League cartoon being up to snuff. The Spider-Man animated series...less so.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

On the topic of nostalgia in general, I get way too much of that these days.  I get a lot of memories of things from my childhood.  Yesterday I walked into a Chinese restaurant and was greeted by a smell that I identified as the smell of a friend's house where I saw people playing Super Mario World for the first time.

• edited 2012-08-20 16:26:26
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The Spider-Man animated series...less so.

I never really liked it, though that may be because the one episode I actually saw of it was the one where Stan Lee shows up.

a smell that I identified as the smell of a friend's house where I saw people playing Super Mario World for the first time

Smell is the most efficient trigger of memory.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I remember that I was really into Ed, Edd N Eddy back when it was on, but I've found that it wasn't actually exceptional. Other than that, I don't really revisit things, except with One Piece, which was always good.

Never read Eragon, though.

• a little muffled

@ClockworkUniverse:

I know that feel too. In fact, I just got the prequel last week. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.
    The prequel is pretty good, but I have to say, not as good as the original series mostly due to Asmira being a way less interesting human protagonist than Nathaniel or Kitty. Bartimaeus himself is as entertaining as ever though.

Asmira being a way less interesting human protagonist than Nathaniel or Kitty. Bartimaeus himself is as entertaining as ever though.

Really, Bartimaeus is enough for me. If the human character had been Nathaniel-tier, it would have been really amazing, but that's more a bonus than a requirement.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy episodes back when it was Grim & Evil weren't that great, but I do believe it is a great show nonetheless.

• edited 2012-08-20 16:43:39

I don't remember if the solo episodes were all that great, I've only seen two recently ("Battle of the Bands" and "Chickenball Z").

I keep thinking that the show would have been better without Billy or if he wasn't so obnoxious. Maybe making him less of an obvious Stimpy rip-off would have helped, at least early on (if you look closely several of his facial expressions are copied verbatim from him, for one thing).

The brunt of the fun of the show falls on Mandy, like the Dune ripoff episode, and in the side characters, like Hoss Delgado and Nergal.

• I always did like Mandy the best of all of the main characters, and the side characters were fun too.

• My entire household agreed that Eragon was too slow and not really worth it when it was popular and I still don't really want to finish it now.

-shrug- Maybe the rest of Inheritance was better but still, I couldn't get through it.
  • a little muffled

I remember I was about halfway through Eldest when I realized "wait a minute, this is terrible".

I still finished it for some reason.

-shrug- Maybe the rest of Inheritance was better but still, I couldn't get through it.

Nope. It pretty much goes downhill the farther into it you get.

• Well in that case, I'll just let that be a hole for the rest of the world to fall into, then.
  • edited 2012-08-20 19:55:03
    They're somethin' else.

Having watched Daria front to back recently, it dawns on me that although this show was a masterpiece when compared to the rest of MTV's line up at the time (and currently) it's not the end all be all of "In the sarcastic sarcasm of sarcasm, there is only sarcasm" shows.

It suffers from a lot of problems. Mostly that in order to make fun of all the things it satirizes, it has to invoke them. It has to make them part of the show. Hence, there's a lot of "OMG POPULARITY VS BRAINS" jokes in the first and second season. Those got old very quick, and even back then , i don't think they were relevant.

I felt somewhat bitter that 2D gaming was shoved out of the way by 3D gaming during the late 90s and early 00s.

After a while I didn't even feel that way anymore, and since then, 2D gaming has made a comeback, as the complexities of control schemes, the high costs of 3D game development, and the rise of indie games have actually slightly pigeonholed 3D gaming.

Well, actually, and odd note about that: 2D gaming has in part survived in the realm of 3D graphics through "2.5D" perspective--3D graphics used to present a 2D gameplay environment.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

I wasn't allowed to watch a lot of cartoons when I was a kid. My parents thought they were a waste of time. (I did go behind their backs and watch them anyway, but that's beside the point.) In retrospect, they were probably right about most of them, but there were still some gems I must've missed out on. >_>

• You can change. You can.

Though I was pleasantly surprised to find the Justice League cartoon being up to snuff. The Spider-Man animated series...less so.

The JL cartoon's still the best superhero cartoon we've had to be perfectly honest with ya. It's pretty much the marriage of everything that makes the league cool.

Anyway the Spider-Man series...MAAAAAAAAN the Spider-Man series. I just love the voice acting. Holy shit how many throats must have been ripped in that studio

With that said, it was pretty watchable.

• Spider-Man is my first exposure to the character and his mythos, so it occupies a special place in my heart. But lookig back, damn. It is not a good cartoon by any stretch.

On the other hand, Spectacular Spdier-Man is just perfect.

Too perfect to last.

• Such is the fate that befalls great things...

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

H-hey... at least we h-have U..Ultimate Suh-spider- (runs off sobbing)

• edited 2012-08-21 02:54:19
    I can't actually say that I remember loving what I watched as a child. I suppose it's not that important to me.
  • edited 2012-08-21 03:31:36
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Man, I loved a lot of stuff as a kid. Both the 60s Batman and 90s. Both held up better than either the X-men or Spider-man cartoon which both made me love the respective universes.

Of course, I had the misfortune to grow up in the nineties. So the comics ye gods.

• As far as media goes, there is very little that I feel nostalgic about and all of it is actually good.  So... yeah.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Subjective "I like this" good or somewhat objective "the work is well crafted and resonant" good?
  • edited 2012-08-21 04:05:15

The former, because the latter has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.