If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Nasuverse Badass Normals

GAPGAP
edited 2012-08-14 00:23:07 in General

As awesome as characters such Bazett and Kotomine are, it just bothers me that the humans in that universe have the capacity to be that strong. I know some of them are mages but still being able to rip apart super powered beings with your bare hands just border on the line'of 'WTF' to me.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

That's not really "badass normal" then, I suppose. 

• I don't remember Kotomine being stupidly strong.  The closest I can think of is in F/0 when he went after Maiya and Iri and even then I think there was some Church/mage powers involved.

• edited 2012-08-14 07:43:45
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Kotomine's uses Church training to fight in that forest. It makes him superhuman, but there is technically no magic involved. Just the manipulation of his own mana and that kind of martial artist new age thing.

I don't remember Kotomine being stupidly strong.

I don't remember him being strong but I do remember him being stupidly fast, like outright dodging bullets while he throws black keys.

• But you never had any to begin with.

I wouldn't call anyone who can continue fighting after losing their heart "normal".

• Does normal even exist in the Nasuverse?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I wouldn't call anyone who can continue fighting after losing their heart "normal".

That's in F/SN, the kotomine being discussed is the one in F/Z, which doesn't get the black heart until the end.

• GAPGAP
    edited 2012-08-16 16:11:53

But  still beating super powered beings and vampires with your hands?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Aren't Church Executors specifically trained to do exactly that?

Also, suspension of disbelief yadda yadda artistic license yadda yadda.

• Kichigai birthday!!

I don't see how Nasu can have an universe, with only being one character and all.

• edited 2012-08-16 18:02:12

character

vegetables are not characters, they are foods

• Kichigai birthday!!

I meant the bird you play as.

• >implying that I had any clue what the hell you were talking about

Though I do now, I guess, since I looked it up...

• I read the title as "Nasaverse Badass Normals." Don't we have Armstrong and Aldrin as those?
  • I'm a damn twisted person

Can one be normal and still be relevant in the Nasuverse?

IJBM: Saber is actually quite sloppy with a sword.

• Did the Celts circa 600 have any good swordcraft?  Not to mention that Ekkusu--CALIBAAAAAAAA is somehow a beam.

IJBM: Saber is actually quite sloppy with a sword. 

Not to discount your credentials as it may be: Which show where Saber appears have you watched?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^He's probably referring to the fact that Saber doesn't use actual medieval swordsmanship and just uses Hollywood style (or anime style in this case).

That can be explained by Nasu not doing that much research.

There's also the fact of DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN sucking at coreography.

• edited 2012-08-17 00:39:00
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Not to discount your credentials as it may be: Which show where Saber appears have you watched?

FSN.

Did the Celts circa 600 have any good swordcraft?

In short, yes. 

Slightly longer version: probably. 

Explanation? Explanation. 

As far back as about 700 BC (I think? Could be earlier.),  the Celtic (and Germanic) tribes were using a method of forging called "pattern welding" for their best swords. This is achieved by taking strands of iron and carbon, heating them up, and twisting them together to form the core of a sword. The resulting material (which was the first true steel) is both strong and flexible. Around this, harder steel with higher carbon content forms the edges of the blade. Swords made with this method are still among the best ever. 

This also implies that the Celts had advanced methods of wielding such objects, because you don't put that much effort, skill and intelligence into making an implement used for brute-strengthing its way through a fight. If that's what you want, an iron axe will do just fine; the fact that they created swords, and pattern-steel ones at that, suggests that they had advanced methods of using them. Also consider the fact that the Romans didn't use any form of steel until well past the birth of Christ, which just goes to show how advanced the societies surrounding them could be in ways they didn't recognise. 

So, yeah. The Celts were world-class swordsmiths and by extension, probably world-class swordsmen as well. 

I would be quite interested to see your reaction at Saber's duels with Diarmuid Ue Duibhne in Fate/Zero.

Got a YouTube? 

Not really, no. All I can find is AMV's of the fight.

Might this be an example? 

• That's a Fate/Zero clip, yup.

• edited 2012-08-17 01:31:00
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

>Seiba vs Ransa

Recrusive transliteration...why would you do that?

Recrusive? are you a japanese plisioner?

• I think it's somehow less dumb than the whole "Arucard" thing, at least.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Goddamn it, how did I wind up with a typo in a post about bad spelling T_T

• My guess/hope would be that the uploader's Japanese and didn't realize that the HGW classes are English words.