If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

that whether a fighting game is 2D or 3D decides how it plays.

edited 2012-07-29 15:30:19 in Media
They're somethin' else.

Take for example a majority of Capcom and SNK's output (and Arc Systems Works for good measure). Movement is restricted to two planes. How you attack in these games are, you have plain and simple attacks that come out with the push of a button, and special moves you use via slightly more complicated movements of the joystick and a button press at the end of it. However, Combos, the meat of tourney play, are much less intuitive (unless you're playing ArcSys games), but you can pretty much freestyle these combos in any game from any of these companies i've described.

But, if you go to any 2D fighter, even if they didn't come from these companies, they play exactly the same way (with some differences, Mortal Kombat being the major one). The only 3D fighters I've come across that plays like a 2D fighter is Maximum Impact and Rival Schools, and surprise surprise, they're made by SNK and Capcom respectively.

Now, play any 3D fighter (most mainstream ones being either Virtua Fighter, Tekken or Soul Calibur). In a majority of these games, you can move to the foreground and background as well as left or right. Special moves here are chained in what I can only describe as "combo trees". Pretty much, if you press any combination of buttons, you'll come out with multiple, but specifically programmed attacks. You can even press two specific buttons to get another specifically programmed attack. But for the most part, you only have few, if any special attack controls that you'd find in a 2D fighter.

I don't think any 2D fighter even plays like a 3D one. Not even Samurai Shodown Sen, the Samurai Shodown franchise mostly being 2D and played like Street Fighter or Fatal Fury, except with weapons and a larger focus on punishing via single strikes. Instead, Samurai Shodown Sen behaved like a gimped Soul Calibur, which only added to how much it played like garbage.

But why does the presentation style of a game decide how it's played? It can't just be the Polygon Ceiling at work, can it?

Comments