If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Laughtracks

edited 2012-06-30 12:32:09 in Media
No rainbow star
They feel so forced and awkward at times...

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, they're a pretty good sign that you need to turn off whatever you're watching.

• edited 2012-06-30 13:06:21

False. Everybody Loves Raymond and How I Met Your Mother have laughtracks.

I said "pretty good," not "perfect."

• Fair enough, you're right on that account.

• probably human

I like how MASH handled it, getting rid of the laugh track in any of the ER scenes. 

The DvDs have an option to turn it off entirely, too, which is pretty sweet.

• You can change. You can.

False. Everybody Loves Raymond and How I Met Your Mother have laughtracks.

hardly the best examples of good comedies, really.

• edited 2012-06-30 13:35:38
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

hardly the best examples of good comedies, really.

In that case, Seinfeld has a laugh track.

That's what I was thinking of. 

Also, Blackadder and Fawlty Towers.

• a little muffled

There's a difference between a laugh track and actual laughter from a studio audience.

Blackadder (past the first season at least) has the latter. Dunno about the others.

^So does Big Bang Theory, so I'm not sure studio audience laughter is inherently better.

Oh.

I'd argue having an studio audience still kinda makes it hard to watch, but it's admittedly not as fake as a laugh track.

• edited 2012-06-30 14:01:49

I really don't think it matters much.  The reason laugh tracks are difficult to watch is because it's awkward and vaguely insulting and often screws up the pacing of the dialogue in a show.  This happens regardless of whether it's actually a laugh track or just a studio audience.

• a little muffled

I was more just pointing out the difference than actually trying to say it was inherently better.

Honestly laugh tracks don't really bother me.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

It should be noted that M*A*S*H* only had a laugh track because the executives in charge of its production didn't think it would be funny without one. Surely enough, the episodes are a million times better with the laugh track... removed.

I feel like there are a lot of shows where if I watched without the laugh track, I'd find myself going "why is everyone just standing there for thirty seconds doing nothing?"

• Yeah, laugh tracks don't really bother me either, nor do I place shows without them above ones with them.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I don't care about them, really.

If the writing is good, I don't really care, but when the writing is awful, it just creates a dissonance (the why is it so funny effect, I call it)

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I found that laugh tracks bother me only if they are louder than the dialogue. If they are more subtle, I may not notice that the laugh track even exists.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think we all should laugh right now.

laughtrack.wav