If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

17-year-old honour student gets jailed for missing classes.

edited 2012-06-04 19:06:00 in Meatspace

You know, despite Diane Tran working her butt off to support her siblings along with AP courses and college classes.

Goddamn, why the hell do Americans think prison should be the solution to everything? Besides, no one gives a shit if you miss classes in university (in Canada, anyway) and many people have done well with the extra time regardless. You'd think college classes should be a tipoff that she is mature enough to afford missing classes. Hell, people have thrived in distance learning classes pretty well.

Comments

• I didn't know there's legislation for that.

Then again I didn't know that it's illegal for a company to not make money for it's shareholders.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That...isn't normal, even over here.

Looking it up, it's apparently a case of a crazy judge, which admittedly is a bit more normal than it should be over here.

• You can change. You can.

link?

• edited 2012-06-04 19:18:25
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

How normal is it in Texas? 

I don't know; Texas is about half a continent away from me. I haven't heard about anything like that happening in Alabama, but Alabama doesn't really give a crap about education :P

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

The American legal, educational, and economic systems are complete and total trash, news at 11

• RedEyedAbyss,

How normal is it in Texas?

I am not sure I am totally qualified to judge that, but apparently using the court system to deal with stuff like truancy is actually pretty popular there.

• edited 2012-06-04 22:34:44
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    There's definitely no law like that here in Connecticut. You can lose class credit if you're absent too much, but even that can be waived if you have extenuating circumstances, like when I missed half the goddamn year because of headaches.

That was pretty over the top and bad. But it did get overturned, and there was a bunch of outrage.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

We don't even have truancy laws here, as far as I'm aware :V

• edited 2012-06-04 22:49:45

LouieW, all you need to understand is that a lot of people at this point would feel fine with Mexico taking Texas back.

Also, hate to be the one to say it, but, you know.  Asian, in the Southern US.  Probably some less-than-savory motivation on the Judge's part.

news at 11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRWZxO4UhVE

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    i'm okay with going back to the 49 star flag
  • edited 2012-06-05 01:34:52

What's next, are they going to make her wear a dunce hat while in jail?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It was only for one night.

• That doesn't exactly make it not ridiculous, you know...

Never said it did. It just wouldn't be a very long time to wear a dunce hat.

• But you never had any to begin with.

One day is pretty long for wearing a hat.

When I posted that originally, Stormtroper had not edited in that 'what next'. :V

• I actually vaguely know Diane Tran through a friend of a friend of a friend. I also live in Texas and I'm Vietnamese as well, so my parents have been spending a lot of times bitching about the judge recently.

If you miss enough days of school in Texas, you have to show up to court. Texas is fond of zero-tolerance laws. Now, I believe the two siblings Diane was taking care of were in college and living with other relatives respectively, but that doesn't make the zero-tolerance policy any less stupid. I also know that the judge had previously warned Diane Tran to stop missing classes, but you think a responsible adult somewhere would have called CPS or something.