If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Utterly dumb things you've done with your computers.

edited 2012-05-20 04:17:43 in General
My arms are falling off!

(Bonus points if it's NOT when you were a kid.)

I was about 8 when I got my first computer. I decided to rename the C:\WINDOWS\ folder to "DK3" (as in Donkey Kong Country 3) because it seemed like a cool idea at the time. This being Windows 95, there were no safeguards against this. Needless to say, my computer a splode.

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I used Windows Vista.

• No rainbow star
    This happened as an adult

Due to impatience and classes, I yanked the battery out of my laptop to shut it down

That's not the dumbest part

I once yanked it out during an update by accident

Not the dumbest part

I had to get Ubuntu on a CD, boot it up, and delete the corrupted file that put the laptop into an infinite reset cycle. Ended up having collateral damage, including deleting two important files. One file was unable to be reinstalled without the other. The other one was unabled to be reinstalled without the first one

I also got angry with that laptop and would sometimes end up beating the crap out of it with its own battery

So it's no wonder that laptop hisses at me when I turn it on

Thankfully, that was the last victim of my anger

So this all occurred... About a year and a half, two years ago
  • probably human

I've dropped my netbook a few times, but I can't really think of anything else I've done to it, except maybe sleeping on top of it (not sure if that actually happened).

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I once received a virus file from a spam e-mail, claiming to be lewd photos associated with the rather distinctive name of a graduate student I knew.

I was already suspicious of it because the attachment was an executable, not a zip or a jpeg.  Still, being the computer noob I was, I opened it out of curiosity.

Well, I had to get my computer disinfected after that.