If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Consistently terrible books in English class (OBLIGATORY SUBJECTIVITY WARNING)

2»

Comments

• My literature education was entirely self-taught. So I could pick and choose what I wanted to read.

Twelfth Night is fun.

• I've always heard people say harsh things about Ayn Rand, but it wasn't until I read Atlas Shrugged in English class that I could say that I agreed with them.

I wouldn't mind the horrible message it gives so much if it weren't for the fact that it's so terribly written. There was a speech in it that went on for over fifty pages!

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-05-19 22:58:27

Yeah, I mean at least other writers with abhorrent world views were mercifully up-front about things and didn't agonize you with the tedium of a hackneyed, overwrought "story" before getting to their manifesto.

In this way, Ayn Rand is actually worse than Hitler.

And what the fuck kind of English class made you read that?!

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^You poor soul.

• I had to read Anthem in my first year of high school. I liked it at the time, but in retrospect that's kind of messed up.

• Ugh, I remember reading Lord of the Flies in high school. Almost got drowned under all the f***ing "symbolism".

• ^Heh, I remember that book. All of those mentions of "creepers" make me think of something else other than vines. (Are the creepers in Minecraft supposed to be plants?)

• edited 2012-05-20 02:14:06
    I don't quite remember what we did in my English classes, but I'm pretty sure it didn't involve symbolism analysis. Did I just get lucky or what?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Lord of The Flies gets taught because of how easy the symbolism is to get.

• edited 2012-05-20 02:18:28

^Precisely why it's so annoying to study. Too on the nose, not enough subtlety.

Really, one of the things I hate most about English classes is that they tried to impose forced "symbolism" on freaking everything.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Oh I'm not disagreeing.

But teenagers are dense.

Hell, people are dense.

• Also, those kids were assholes. I was kind of hoping they would all die of starvation or malaria.

• edited 2012-05-20 02:34:54
    Wow, I REALLY must've gotten lucky, since everybody gripes so much about the symbolism.

I think what we did a lot of in my classes was imitation, either of the author's style or their content. We wrote Shakespearien sonnets and put specific passages of works into different words.
  • quoteAlso, those kids were assholes/quote

• Really, one of the things I hate most about English classes is that they tried to impose forced "symbolism" on freaking everything.

What I said earlier about the high school teacher trying to score more points on Gatsby than were probably available?

When we were watching the movie version after finishing the book, during Gatsby's last conversation with Nick before heading to the pool, he's carrying the inflatable pool mattress.  Apparently this is Jesus with the cross.

...yeeeeaaaahhhh...

• Has friends besides tanks now

Ahh, yes, Lord of the Flies. Did that one sophomore year. The thing I remember most about that book was all of the people in the class who, when given the question during an assignment, thought Jack was a better leader than Ralph.

• edited 2012-05-20 10:11:08

To be fair, Ralph is kind of a jerk in the book.

In fact, there is not one single likable character to be found: Ralph and Jack are jerks, Roger is a psycho, Piggy is too whiny and Simon is too airheaded.

• edited 2012-05-20 10:06:06
    Has friends besides tanks now

Don't remember it that well, honestly. I just remember him being the one with the good ideas.

On another note, I'm a little offended that my cousin really likes Plainsong but has yet to read Watership Down, which I gifted to her a while ago. Oh, and that she was apparently planning to read The Da Vinci Code.