If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People that assume you're less intelligent than them.

edited 2012-05-02 23:21:11 in Meatspace
Rurr.

They're annoying, especially when they have insufficient evidence.

They're insufferable when they do it based on race. It's even worse when they assume you only got into college based on affirmative action, or when they tell you, "You're not like the other ones." Or say things like, "How can you write and understand fantasy literature? It's not exactly in your culture."

Just needed to rant about this.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

How can you write and understand fantasy literature? It's not exactly in your culture.

I know this is beside the point but

> people implying that fantasy literature has anything to do with history beyond vagary 

For better or worse. 

In any case, I have little else to contribute given that being a white male exempts me from the majority of this kind of bullshit. Although it's interesting that due to my long hair and beard a lot of randoms offer to share drugs with me, or assume things about me. I feel a bit on edge about comparing a presentation choice like that to something inherent like the race one was born with, but it's still pretty annoying to be unfairly characterised on the basis of that kind of thing -- but never any more than annoying, which is where our experiences differ, no doubt. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Tell them to take their superiority complex and shove it.

• People that assume you're less intelligent than them

Are called racists, if they do it because of your race. You should consider pointing this out to them.

The fantasy literature point is particularly bullshit. Most fantasy literature has its roots in European mythology. There's no reason someone from a non-white culture couldn't develop fantasy literature based on their own mythology and no reason a non-white person in Europe or America couldn't use the traditional mythology here for their writing anyway.

> implying that Meso-American, African, Caribbean, South-American, Native-American, south-Asian, east-Asian, Middle-Eastern, southeast-Asian, Pacific-islander, and other cultures' myths and legends have not made their way into western fantasy settings

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I get this sometimes because of my stutter, if the people I am conversing with are particularly ignorant.

Like that one time when my stuttering was particularly bad - I went to the store to buy something, and when I made an order at the cashier's, I began to stutter. She looked at me patronizingly, gave me a pen and a piece of paper and said "Could you write that down for me? You can write, can you?"

I barely managed to prevent myself from exploding in a fit of rage and hurt ego.

• The fantasy literature point is particularly bullshit. Most fantasy literature has its roots in European mythology. There's no reason someone from a non-white culture couldn't develop fantasy literature based on their own mythology and no reason a non-white person in Europe or America couldn't use the traditional mythology here for their writing anyway.

Case in point - Imaro, a Conanesque sword-and-sorcery novel drawing upon African mythology, because Charles Saunders was irritated by how white-European the fantasy genre was. The results were totally badass.

• edited 2012-05-03 13:49:26
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Most fantasy literature has its roots in European mythology. There's no reason someone from a non-white culture couldn't develop fantasy literature based on their own mythology and no reason a non-white person in Europe or America couldn't use the traditional mythology here for their writing anyway.

I'm actually working on a worldbuilding project that deliberately avoids on drawing on real mythology, so there's that option too.

• edited 2012-05-03 13:52:22
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I'm actually working on a worldbuilding project that deliberately avoids on drawing on real mythology, so there's that option too.

That's going to be very, very difficult, since most ideas that you can come up with have already been used somewhere.

• edited 2012-05-03 13:56:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    There's some coincidental resemblance; that's pretty much unavoidable. I'm just trying to be certain that there isn't anything too overt and that the whole thing doesn't lean toward any partiular culture.

I think that if I were to make a game or something, instead of having a world built on "real" mythology (i.e. from real-life sources, such as various civilizations and cultures), it would be built on lots of pop culture references.

For example, a trio of quirky antagonists based on the X-Hunters from Mega Man X2, a futuristic arena for fighting a vampire lord inspired by Blade 2 (I think it's Blade 2), and a set of bosses based on Evangelion's angels (rather than their Judeo-Christian mythic origins).

• No rainbow star
    Milos: One of my offline friends has asked me several times if I think she's stupid, and she stutters. Now I'm wondering if there are some people who have called her stupid that need a verbal thrashing
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    I'm just trying to be certain that there isn't anything too overt and that the whole thing doesn't lean toward any partiular culture.

Honestly, I think if you do that, you'll simply end up drawing on whichever culture you've been exposed to the most.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Um...you did see that I was talking about mythology, right? I'm not trying to make up governmental systems nobody's thought of or anything.
  • edited 2012-05-03 14:40:25
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ ...which in my case is lots of videogames from the 90s and 00s.

• INUH - If you can pull that off, you should definitely go into politics. It's a long time since anyone's come up with a genuinely new political ideology.