If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Using the name of God (or similar names) in vain

edited 2012-05-02 15:22:48 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Why do I seem to notice this more than probably even most Christians do?  And I'm not even Christian!

Comments

• edited 2012-05-02 15:24:29
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Same.

Though I also tend to do it more than most Christians I know, even though that makes no sense at all.

• edited 2012-05-02 15:24:44
    We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    What do you mean, exactly?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The strangest thing is that I actually respect this commandment more often than do Christians that I see.  "oh god" or "my god" or "what in god's/the lord's/jesus's name" or even stuff like "holy fucking god" and "jesus fucking christ" and such are pretty darn common English phrases, which I actually try to avoid using.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

"God" isn't technically the name that's referring to, though.

Well, the commandment is supposed to cover basically these sorts of swearing/expletive statements, not just the ones with "god"/"God" (however you want to spell it) in them, right?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I was under the impression that it initially referred to saying Yahweh when you didn't need to.

• edited 2012-05-02 15:36:37
    We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.

But if rolls off the tongue so well!

In all seriousness, the use of the word "god" in that context is such a thoroughly ingrained concept that I'm legitimately surprised that someone does in fact commit to honoring the sanctity of the word.

Respect. o7

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

You haven't seen potnetially offensive until you've heard Serbian swears involving Christ's bone soup, monastery doors, Geiger counters and child molesting.

• I dunno what it is with Eastern Europe and ridiculously colorful swearing, but yeah.  Had a WoW buddy from Russia who would get bored during farm raids, do something stupidly aggressive (fire mage, naturally), then go full-out mat when crazy shit started happening as a result and the boss decided to go eat his face.  It was a pretty transcendental experience.

• Back in Black

Under the assumption that Christianity (or Judaism) is correct about the afterlife and such, I'm so, so going to Hell based solely on using the Lord's name in vain.  XD

• I just try to use "Good Lord".

It makes me sound respectable.
  • My favourite of these phrases is "Christ on a bike", which is pretty rare. I have no idea what Christ might be doing on said bike, but there you are.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-05-03 13:12:18

Yeah, I really tend to use God's name in vain a lot of the time.

^I imagine him popping a wheelie.

^^ Try "Christ on a dino" for extra sacrilege points.

• I'm a damn twisted person

My favorite has to be "Jesus H tapdancing Christ!"

• You can change. You can.

I've always been a fan of "Sweet Jumping Jesus on a Stick", although I can't quite recall where I've heard it.

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    "Sweet Buttery Jesus On Toast" is my pick.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I have a soft spot for "What the Christ," myself.

What the christ's the one I use the most in IRC/Gtalk because it's handy and because, you know, you kinda have to reply quicker than in a forum

• I mix 'em with disease swearwords, which does not translate into English at all. Jesus cancer typhoid sounds plain weird.

"Fuckin' typhoid hell!" sounds like a rather colorful, albeit disgusting, expletive statement.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

While this has nothing to do with deities or other comparable beings, I'm fond of "dribbledick". 

• Usually when I drop one of these I'm like "oh sweet baby jesus" but it's really fast and sounds like all one word.

^^ May I also suggest adding cocksnot to the insult vocabulary?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

You may indeed. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I've come to enjoy the word "dickbutt" way more than I'd like to admit.

For maximum wtf I like to jump to "shitting dick-nipples!". You can thank /d/ for that one. 

I want to try "fuckin' mélangin' hell".

cuntnipples, its distaff counterpart, is just as amusing. 

Suddenly the whole symmetrical docking meme has a whole new meaning.