If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Don't worry about things you can't change."

edited 2012-05-02 03:26:06 in General

In reference to things like death, breakups, etc. General misfortune.

Doesn't the inability to change a bad situation just make it that much more distressing?

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Speaking from personal issues, I agree that this is crap. I think the idea is to achieve serenity in your place, but when your place keeps you from what you want...

• edited 2012-05-02 05:01:23
    I only use this phrase in reference to things like bothering other people to change, politics, and vegetables.

Everything else can be changed. Or I'm other cases, it's an indiscretion to use the phrase.
  • edited 2012-05-02 04:56:52
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

That would be a pretty good advice, actually, if it weren't completely unrealistic. The things you can't do anything about are often also the worst things that happen and powerlessness only enhances that.

But being able to do something about an issue, but not doing anything until it's too late (maybe because you underestimated it or you initially thought you can't change anything) can be even worse. I had a bit of distress about it, concerning the death of my mother. Then again, when I finally realized that I couldn't have changed much after all, I felt even worse for a while...

• I'm a damn twisted person

I guess I see where you guys are coming from but, I don't see it on an emotional level. I took this advice to heart when my mom died, since I figured I didn't have any family to help me out so feeling sad to the point of of being useless wouldn't have been pragmatic. See I always find that sentiment useful because it keeps me from getting bogged down on what I can't do, and focusing on how I can help the people in front of me.

• Oh jolly, advice that's easy to bastardize into 'become jaded and unmotivated'! :3

You don't need advice for your default state IA. 

• You can change. You can.

I think it's to try and convert other people.

No, that's a horrible idea. If everybody had a slacker mentality, slackers wouldn't have hard working people(or people who just show up and do their job) to take advantage of. It's in a slacker's best interest to ensure that the vast majority of people are motivated.

• This is good advice, but the difficulty is that it isn't always obvious what you can and can't change.

I mean, clearly you can change your clothes and you can't change the weather. But what about your country's politics? Mostly, individuals don't have much control over that, but then there are individuals who do end up changing their political system (e.g. Lenin, Hitler or Gorbachev) and it happens through collective action all the time.