If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fish Sandwiches

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I did say that I ignore the metagame. I'm talking about single-player.

And not everyone trades.

• No rainbow star
    Charizard being a dragon type would destroy single player, and certainly be OU at minimum in the metagame
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I doubt it would go into Ubers, but it definitely would stick in high OU.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Where do the other starters' top-level evolutions rank?

/me looks up blastoise

UU with OU possibility.

/me looks up venusaur | I don't remember this being very well-received.

> OU

wait what

> Chlorophyll

Oh.  Hunh.  This is new.

That said, charizard being in OU doesn't seem like that bad of a thing.

^No, but as INUH said, it would wreak havoc in single player.

Similarly, if Gyarados was Water/Dragon except 10 times worse.

• edited 2012-04-09 15:31:49
    a little muffled

Pokémon single player is hardly balanced as it is.

Choosing Charmander in first gen basically makes the first two hours of the game hardmode; I don't see what's wrong with rewarding that.

• No rainbow star
    ^ I evolved my Charmander in Fire Red into a Charizard before facing Brock :D

OHKOs and 2HKOs EVERYWHERE
  • edited 2012-04-09 22:26:06
    Definitely not gay.

Good God, Gyarados' SR and 4x Electric weaknesses are the only things keeping it from Ubers. Removing that would give you an absolute powerhouse.

Yeah, unresisted dual STAB would murder the metagame. 

• Definitely not gay.

OK, guys, let's put this into perspective:

You get a Pokemon that has almost-unresisted dual STAB (only resisted, may I add, by a legendary that was only introduced in the fourth gen) at the start of the game. At the start of the game. 

Charizard would be at least at Garchomp's level of broken-ness.

• No rainbow star

^ The type combination isn't everything. Don't forget that Kingdra was in UU in generation 3 (or was he borderline?)

• Definitely not gay.

Charizard would probably get Draco Meteor if he was secondary Dragon and he has the stats to abuse it.

STAB Draco Meteor + STAB Heat Wave is all the coverage you need, man.

• No rainbow star

^ I'm just saying, type is only part of the equation

The other parts are stats, movepool, and abilities

I love how a food topic derailed into Pokemon.

• edited 2012-04-10 00:25:15
    Definitely not gay.

stats

Charizard has a high Spe. Atk stat and the movepool to abuse it. 

movepool

Charizard has a wide movepool with STAB and non-STAB options like Solarbeam, Fire Blast, Earthquake, and Focus Blast. It also has Dragon Dance to further boost its good Speed and mediocre Attack. Dragon-typing would only give it STAB on things like Outrage and Dragon Claw (which are usable after a DD)

abilities

Solar Power gives it an immense Sp. Atk boost, equivalent to a Specs boost without the need for a lock-in in the sun. Charizard also only loses 1/16 of its HP with Leftovers. 

A secondary Dragon-typing would make it kind of like a faster, weaker Hydreigon (albeit one with an excellent primary STAB in Fire and access to better boosting moves)

• No rainbow star

...The point I was making is that just type doesn't mean anything. Yes, of course Charizard and Gyardos gaining secondary flying types would make them beasts

• > how did the fish sandwiches thread get 76 comments

> pokemon

> oh

• No rainbow star
    ^ This place is good at derails
  • You can change. You can.

^^ Pretty much my curse of action this morning.

• edited 2012-04-11 11:56:52
    I'm a damn twisted person

^^ Pretty much my curse of action this morning

Juan confirmed for being an internet witch now. Instead of using bits of hair and fingernail clippings or bits of clothing or items of personal significance, he is a true post modern practitioner of witchery, using emails and private messages as "material" components to lay hexes on people. Every Sunday he flies off to the #blackmass IRC channel and cavorts with Lady Lain of the Wired to earn her favor. 

It is foretold that he will lead Anonymous against twitter one day and slay it with the Fang of Overlord Jimbo Wales. 

who's the bigger witch: the guy who lays hexes on people or the guy who predicts my future to a tee

also, you're the second IJBMer to say that I will have magical properties at one point. granted, the first time i was confirmed for "grumpiest wizard". 

...which fits quite well, now that i think about it.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

oh i just knew it

c'mere juan

butbutbut i thought you were my black knight, he who'd ride onto europe spreading the horror that i so relish! D:

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

horror is a matter of perspective

particularly yours >:|

you're the dickiest knight

jaime lannister would look at you and say "Maaaan, not even I'm that big a dick"

• edited 2012-04-11 12:33:22
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

i'd push his kid out of a window if you know what i mean

and by that i mean

joffrey

fuck that guy

you may or may not be much of a dick, then.

then again, everyone hates joffrey. it's called common sense.

get a room you two.

• I'm a damn twisted person

And Crimson got tossed from a window, and desperately tried to cling to relevancy for the next four books.

• edited 2012-04-11 19:56:13
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Maybe Juan isn't a wizard, but a cleric Lady Lain the Wired, whose clerics dress up like wizards because they're total geeks.

• edited 2012-06-25 10:09:33
    Definitely not gay.

I'd rather see Charizard attain Dragon type because fuck balance; even with the type, Charizard would only be overpowered in comparison to other starters -- not to semi-legendaries or true legendaries. 

Well actually legendaries are not the most powerful Pokemon in the game. That assumption is even more ridiculous than OU Pokemon being the most powerful in the game. But I'm seeing your point: Charizard would only be overpowered compared to other starters, and mentioning Gen 1 and balance in the same sentence are likely to arouse hysterical fits of laughter and derision everywhere anyways.

However, I would also like to point out that Charizard has the movepool and the stats to abuse Fire/Dragon typing fully, which is definitely going to imbalance the already unstable metagame even more. Fire/Dragon would turn Charizard from a frail sweeper with numerous common checks and problems to a ferocious, unstoppable sweeper to which Heatran and SR are the only true counters. Therefore, Charizard would eclipse both starters and other Pokemon.

Not that Charizard are particularly common in any case, given that you have to trade from older games to get one reliably and at low level. Starters don't come back as capturable Pokemon. So Charizard would remain rare, well-balanced in the grand scheme of things and actually halfway usable against Stealth Rock strategies. 

lol breeding and trading

And anyways, simulators destroy the entire concept of availability. And no, the only way Charizard would be usable against SR strategies would be if it got Magic Guard.

And while I understand why starters should be balanced with one-another, we're talking about Gen 1 here. Given that player access to Gen 1 starters is limited (for better or worse -- probably worse), they may as well be considered miscellaneous Pokemon. Worst comes to worst, Charizard's position in the power scale is altered and competitive rules change for that. 

I wholeheartedly agree with the first sentence. I mean, Gen 1 is the complete opposite of a well-balanced game.

But like I said, getting a Gen 1 starter is not as hard as you make it out to be. There are things called breeding, trading, and DW events you know.

\