If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fish Sandwiches

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

greasy salmon mmmmmmmmmmmm

• Salmon is pretty wonderful.  It's not usually the fish I eat with tartar sauce, though.

• I usually don't even like tartar sauce.

But less is definitely more.

• No rainbow star
    INUH: What main feature?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^Kappa's heads are concave, forming a bowl filled with water. If you trick it into bowing, it weakens it so it can't hurt you. Golduck's head is about as far from that as you can get.

• No rainbow star

^ Oh, I thought you were talking about Psyduck there

Yes, it's without the bowl, but the dex entries state that Golduck is often mistaken for a monster. So I think they're getting at Golduck being based on a kappa, but not actually one, and instead gets mistaken for one

Besides, the water typing kind of negates the weakness anyways

• Definitely not gay.

This is a nice novelty hottub...

Also, Golduck should've been Water/Psychic.

• No rainbow star

<.< >.> *looks for the lid for the "novelty" "hot tub"*

^^ YES

So I think they're getting at Golduck being based on a kappa, but not actually one, and instead gets mistaken for one

That would make sense, especially if it's more of an in-universe "oh, hey, a blue humanoid swimming in a river. Must be a Kappa" thing.

Besides, the water typing kind of negates the weakness anyways

Er, I think you misunderstood. Kappa are weakened if the bowl in their head isn't full of water.

• Definitely not gay.

^^ I mean,  it's associated with psychic powers, it can learn them and its psychic powers are displayed prominently in media.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I think it's a case of Psychic types not being invented at that time in the design process, that's why Golduck doesn't have it.

See also, Gyarados.

How often do you get pokemon naturally learning moves of a type they don't have (other than Normal-type moves)?

• No rainbow star
    INUH: I mean, if it's a water type, it could probably keep the bowl full with ease anyways

Crimson: Gyarados is likely based on the Dragon Gate legend, where a carp turned into a dragon, rampaged, then had the dragon designation TAKEN AWAY, turning it from a dragon into a flying sea serpent
  • edited 2012-04-08 20:58:27
    Definitely not gay.

^^ That is ubiquitous. Most Pokemon learn non-STAB moves.

Ex: Gengar gets Icy Wind, Alakazam gets Focus Blast, Garchomp gets Fire Fang and I get Flamethrower.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    Still no excuse for Charizard though. I mean, it's literally a stereotypical Western dragon.
  • Definitely not gay.

^ Charizard as secondary Dragon would be overpowered.

As he should be.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^No. That would totally unbalance the starter dynamic.

Yeah, that would be a complete disaster.

• edited 2012-04-09 11:05:38
    Definitely not gay.

Lawl, 4x resists Grass and is neutral to Water

SR is still a major pain in the ass, tho. 

Sorry, for a moment there I was thinking purely in terms of flavor and not in terms of competitive balance.

• edited 2012-04-09 11:15:44
    Definitely not gay.

Also, it would've been unresisted for 3 gens straight, and even DPPt-onwards it'd only be resisted by Heatran.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'd rather see Charizard attain Dragon type because fuck balance; even with the type, Charizard would only be overpowered in comparison to other starters -- not to semi-legendaries or true legendaries. Very powerful, sure, but his stat potential still doesn't line up with the true highest tier. If anything, making it Dragon/Fire would remove the weaknesses that cripple it, making it so uncommon and poorly used. 

Not that Charizard are particularly common in any case, given that you have to trade from older games to get one reliably and at low level. Starters don't come back as capturable Pokemon. So Charizard would remain rare, well-balanced in the grand scheme of things and actually halfway usable against Stealth Rock strategies. 

And while I understand why starters should be balanced with one-another, we're talking about Gen 1 here. Given that player access to Gen 1 starters is limited (for better or worse -- probably worse), they may as well be considered miscellaneous Pokemon. Worst comes to worst, Charizard's position in the power scale is altered and competitive rules change for that. 

On the other hand, Charizard is my favourite Pokemon, so

• Definitely not gay.

You shouldn't let biases affect these sorts of things.

Well, actually, better question.

What would happen if charizard had the exact same stats, abilities, and movepool, but had dragon type instead of flying type?

• edited 2012-04-09 12:46:59
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

It would lose half of its weaknesses.

Not that Charizard are particularly common in any case, given that you have to trade from older games to get one reliably and at low level

Can't you get him in Gen IV?

And what tier would that put it in?

I don't know, I try to ignore the Smogon stuff. But it's a pretty powerful Pokemon, and the choice between the gen 1 starters would have a "right" answer if it had dragon type, which from a design perspective is really, really bad.

• Except nobody actually chooses starters based on how good they are in the metagame since it's easy enough to get all of them anyway via trading.  So... yeah.