If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Victim blaming

edited 2012-03-15 15:47:18 in General

If people in general were asked their opinion on the topic (framed generally), I'm pretty sure virtually everyone would agree that it is a bad thing. And yet, it's unfortunately very ingrained into our culture. It's the consequence of individualistic mindsets and the just world fallacy in which the assumption that you're in control of your own destiny means that if something bad happens to you, it's your own fault. And it's a convenient way to shirk responsibility for systemic issues in society.

I do suspect that victim blaming is connected to the whole "no such thing as society" mindset that has plagued us in recent times, but then how do we change the culture? Personally, I used to believe in the victim blaming propaganda until I became exposed to the horrors of rape victims being shamed and the struggles of the unemployed. But then how generally do you get people to listen to voices telling about things they could never imagine?

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

How to change the culture?
    I dunno it's very much an uphill struggle but I guess that unless you are in a position of power you just have to keep pointing it out and challenging it.

A relevant youtube video:

• >the whole "no such thing as society" mindset

This most often pops up in cases where the rape mentality gets fostered in a secluded group(the frat that passed around rape inquiries and the hockey club that made a terrible song pop in mind) and it's then used as a broader example of rape culture within society, methinks. Which is why it's so annoying only the extremities and abstract statistics make the news.