If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I hate genderwank part II: The idea that prejudice is tied to personal characteristics...

edited 2012-02-02 13:47:09 in General

...is in itself a prejudice. But apparently, it's a totally okay one. Seriously, how many times have you heard about people complaining about "misogynist men" or "misandrist lesbians." We have the tropes "female misogynist" and (I think) "male misandrist" (or is that still in YKTTW?) as if male misogynist and female misandrist are the normal types.

And then, there's the assumption that male Doms must be misogynist/Dommes must be misandrist. No, believe me, I've seen my share of submissive men who are misogynist (pretend they're about submission, but then can't get the concept of no means no) and submissive women who are misandrist (believe that the only man worthwhile is the twoo domly dom of their dreams). And male switches who top women sometimes, but believe that women are the superior gender AND DON'T THINK BELIEVING THIS IS SEXIST (yes, I've actually run into this idiot).

It also applies to ideology. Both in the idea that certain personal characteristics tie into certain ideologies ("lesbian feminist" "antifeminist old white straight guy,") and that certain ideologies have a 1:1 correlation with prejudice (all feminists/antifeminists are misandrist/misogynist). More baffling, the idea (common among traditionalists) that a traditionalist (which is what some, but not all, antifeminists are) cannot ever be misandrist (because it's not misandrist to force men into a gender role that renders them considered unsympathetic and expendable), and the idea (common among feminists) that a feminist cannot ever be misogynist (because Real Women Never Wear Dresses is totally true gaiz!)

Dominant/submissive/switch feminist/antifeminist bisexual/heterosexual/homosexual men/women/transpeople can ALL be misandrist/misogynist/transphobic.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

First, the correlation isn't perfect, but it often is true that a randomly selected individual from a certain subgroup of the population is significantly more or less likely to hold a certain opinion than a randomly selected individual from the population as a whole.

Second, what's "switch"?

• Someone who alternates between dominant and submissive roles in a BDSM setting, IIRC.

• a little muffled

Someone who takes both roles in BDSM stuff.

• ...that third paragraph has WAY too many parens in it.

But yeah, the idea that women can't be sexist* I very much Consider Harmful. 

*: Sexist against women mainly; outright hatred of men is usually not harmful. Sexism in the sense of enforcing gender roles, of course, is ubiquitous among all people and can be QUITE harmful and for men especially sometimes even physically dangerous. (Hey guys, have you ever had someone dare you to do something REALLY STUPID? Thought so.) 

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Well of course it's silly to think that any one set of beliefs is the "default" set of beliefs, but it is true that the far greater number of misogynists/misandrists are going to be men/women, simply because the environment one grows up in is highly conducive to their set of beliefs. And personally I hold the opinion that there is a greater chance of a man growing up to be a misogynist if he grows up in a male-dominated environment; same thing goes for women. A balance should be struck. 

The sex talk is somewhat unfamiliar to be, but from what I can gather, isn't BDSM a roleplaying genre in which a disproportionally high amount of participants enjoy things that others would construe as misogynist/misandrist? Not that all BDSM practitioners are like that, of course, but from my reading it seems like this may be the case. 

And yes, feminists can be misandrist, but from what I've seen it seems that MRA have a greater percentage of their population that is sexist. 

• And yes, feminists can be misandrist, but from what I've seen it seems that MRA have a greater percentage of their population that is sexist.

Right, forgot to mention this. With particular emphasis on the "can", in fact; feminists are slightly less likely to be misandrist than random people, but MRAs in my experience are MUCH more likely to be misogynist. To the point where I suspect that most of the people talking about "men's rights" don't care about ACTUAL men's rights and are actually using it in the sense the KKK uses "white pride".

So, drawing an equivalence between feminists and MRAs, at least in the forms they are now, is wrong.

• Glaives are better.

> You will never be in a loving, nondiscriminatory and fulfilling BDSM relationship with a submissive female

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/97/264389804_6bd02cbc85_z.jpg" alt="Feels bad, man" width="640" height="480" />

• edited 2012-02-06 10:49:33

> You will never be in a loving, nondiscriminatory and fulfilling BDSM relationship with a submissive female

Who's implying this? Where clear communication exists, all sorts of loving, nondiscriminatory, and fulfilling relationships with all sorts of people are not hard to find.

• ...now that this thread is active again, can I point out that you clearly DON'T hate genderwank, since you started two threads devoted to it?

• It's addictive. I try to quit, but keep going back to it.