If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This image

edited 2012-02-02 10:50:27 in General

Comments

• Kichigai birthday!!

• You can change. You can.

I don't know which image's worse and which image makes me want to choke a bitch more

halp

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

/v/ in a nutshell, I surmise.

• edited 2012-02-02 11:26:03
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

LOL.

The games displayed are Super Meat Boy and Gundemonium, right?

I am amused at the comparison of what they can't do; I've heard the criticism of western indie games looking low-tech before, but the "corresponding" accusation about Japanese indie games is amusing.

That said, there are really pretty, non-platforming-clone, and epic western indie games, such as Aquaria, as well as half-crappy Japanese indie platformers, such as

Now the complaint that you have to wait for a translation isn't quite relevant; it's not about the game itself.  That said, for some Japanese indie games, you have to go DLL hunting to make them work, and I'd have more beef with that.

EDIT: This was in reply to the first image.  The second one just seems stupid.

• I don't even know what the second one is trying to say.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

y helo thar, "person is using a simplistic style, they clearly can't do anything more complex" strawman, nice to see you again

• Glaives are better.

IT'S OVER, PC IS FINISHED.

• Is a work of art somehow better if an easier, simplistic style is used by an artist that could do something more complex than if it was by someone who couldn't?

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

No, it's simply a ridiculous assumption to make.

• You can change. You can.

Also, it automatically assumes there's something wrong with minimalism, and...there's not. Not everything has to be an overbloated, over the top thing with explosions everywhere. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

There's nothing wrong with simplicity.

Knytt Stories is awesome.

• Anyway, are indie games really backed up by hipster douches? I just like them because they're cheap and fun, and I don't know of anyone who buys them to the exclusion of mainstream games.

I also never figured any of the ones I've played were especially deep.

Knytt Stories is sort of boring, honestly.

Anyway, are indie games really backed up by hipster douches? I just like them because they're cheap and fun, and I don't know of anyone who buys them to the exclusion of mainstream games.

"hipsters" are a construct used when someone wants to vent about perceived elitism, so probably not.

Knytt Stories is nice for one of two things, depending on the custom level you're playing: ambience/environmental flavor, or platforming action (verging on platform hell sometimes).  Some levels have both.

There are a ton of Knytt Stories levels though so it's not that hard to find something to your tastes.

And there's always Don't Eat The Mushroom.

• edited 2012-02-02 13:11:35

There's nothing wrong with minimalism, but there is something wrong with bad art, and the problem is that many indie game makers are simply bad artists regardless of what style they work in.  Which is kind of unavoidable really considering independent games are usually only made by one person or a handful of people on a low or nonexistent budget so they can't always be expected to have high-quality artists but it's still a bit silly when people try to pass off their graphics as "retro" or "minimalist."

Well, a lot of it is "retro" in the sense that it uses graphics (style and/or resolution) that were common in commercial games in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras, or "minimalist" in the sense that it doesn't have much in the way of art assets.  It's just that "retro" and "minimalist" should not be thought of as bad things.

• There's nothing wrong with retro graphics.

That specific 8 or 16-bit Nintendo style of retro graphics, though, is kind of overused. I played a game called Don't Shit Your Pants that actually uses retro-Commodore 64 style graphics, which was kind of refreshing.
  • No rainbow star
    ...If you're a shit artist, then doing something in a retro style won't hide it
  • edited 2012-02-02 14:03:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Depends on what you mean by "shit artist".  Someone who can't draw, say, any remotely passable art, can simply use very simple graphics to get away with not having to produce complex character art.

In fact, I think this is the case with some webcomic artists.

• edited 2012-02-02 14:07:40

^^ Exactly.  But indie game developers often think it will.  Granted, I'm not thinking of any particularly high-profile indie games there (since most that I can think of look at least acceptable), but if you look around on sites where amateurs are making games, you see a lot of people who simply can not create good looking graphics trying to pass off their artistic failings as a style instead of just admitting that their graphics aren't very good.  And, y'know, you see that from bad artists in general, who use the excuse of "it's my style" when someone points out that some aspect of their art isn't good. 

Ninja'd. Maybe.

• "From there, it’s not difficult to figure out that the visual design of Team Meat is limited by “proficiency”.  Their art design is not a stylistic decision.  Their art design and their ability to create that art is simply limited.  The 2011 release of the bloody Zelda-roguelike-whateveryouwannacallit The Binding of Isaac should affirm that.  Much like hundreds of aspiring mobile game developers, Team Meat looked at their limited art capabilities and decided they could market these limited art capabilities if they called them “retro graphics”.  So while companies such as VanillaWare and Arc System Works are creating beautiful game worlds with beautiful, hand-drawn art, Team Meat can simply claim they are appealing to the childhood video game memories of those who grew up in the eighties.  In doing so, an awful lot of players have given them a free pass."

• No rainbow star
    Except those graphics are fairly good. If they were bad, even retro style would look awful