If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Innistrad Graveyards (or "Grafs")

edited 2012-01-21 13:43:32 in General

Okay, in the newest Magic: the Gathering set, Innistrad, the setting is basically one big homage to the Gothic Horror genre. In the world of Innistrad, graveyards (or "grafs" in Innistradi slang) are a hotbed for ghoulcallers (necromancers) and stitchers (mad scientists who create flesh constructs similar to  Frankenstein's Monster) searching for raw material. The main religion in Innistrad is heavily centered around finding a way to not be brought back as a zombie or geist (ghost.)

So why in the hell do they choose to bury their dead, anyway? I dunno about you guys, but I think practicing cremation would solve the zombie problem in the very least. Geez.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I don't know much about the setting, but just going on what you're saying there, then they'd have a much worse ghost problem than they already do. Again, I don't know much about the setting here, but ghosts strike me as harder to deal with than zombies.

• edited 2012-01-21 13:47:51
    a little muffled

Some of the ghosts are nice, though, so that might be preferable.

I feel like this was addressed somewhere on the mothership; let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Yeah, INUH more or less has it actually. According to this, it's impossible to achieve the Blessed Sleep through cremation, and indeed one is almost guaranteed to end up a geist.

• edited 2012-01-21 13:50:35
    "ghosts strike me as harder to deal with than zombies."

Undead Warchief disagrees.

Also, I just realized Graveborn Muse is a zombie goast.
  • edited 2012-01-21 13:49:42
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Edit: Yeah, INUH more or less has it actually. According to this, it's impossible to achieve the Blessed Sleep through cremation, and indeed one is almost guaranteed to end up a geist.

Achievement Unlocked - blindfolded darts: make a wild guess about something you know nothing about, but get it right.

• a little muffled

Well, if nothing else, Slayer of the Wicked can't deal with ghosts, and Elite Inquisitor doesn't have protection from them.

• No rainbow star
    What about cutting uo the body into tiny little pieces, feeding the pieces to, say, a group of pigs, slaughtering the pigs, throwing the pigs down a deep hole, then filling that hole up?
  • a little muffled

You'd run out of pigs fast if you did that to everyone who died.

• Good people don't end up here.

The crueler and weirder the death the more likely it is that ghosts will happen.

• No rainbow star
    ^ But that wouod be after death D:
  • You can change. You can.

What about cutting uo the body into tiny little pieces, feeding the pieces to, say, a group of pigs, slaughtering the pigs, throwing the pigs down a deep hole, then filling that hole up?

• a little muffled

That was my first thought as well.

• I don't think it's slang. "Graf" is just their word for it, right?

• a little muffled

Other cards actually use the word "grave" though.

• Ultimately, the point of the religion on Innistrad is to ensure its followers' corpses go unmolested. Cremation, etc. is rather contrary to that purpose. If you don't like that your enemy is going to rob your dad's grave and do horrible things with his body, turning the body into ash might deny them a resource but it's not really a win (in a setting where existence extends after death in some form, physical survival isn't necessarily the top priority).

• ^^Is that just a translation, maybe?

^

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    That is going to be stuck in my head forever.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    i'm going to murder you
  • I've been listening to this for 13 minutes and it still entertains me.

• Well, someone agrees with the OP.

Buffy could've been so much more.

;_;

• But you never had any to begin with.

^^ Geez, Dark Ascension is really pushing graveyard hate, ain't it?

Only in white. The other colours are definrlty pushing for reanimator decks.
  • But you never had any to begin with.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Buffy could've been so much more.

Man I know we've walked this ground before but I unironically agree.

An urban fantasy about a small group of underfunded, inexperienced hunters of the undead is a pretty cool thing, but to me, Buffy is too much high school (or undergrad university) and not enough killing the shit out of undead scourge. Or rather, finding ways to deal with it. In many respects, Buffy is augmented reality rather than fantasy. This arguably works in its favour, but there's a lot one can do with the concept that isn't done.

Given that it's one of those post-Anne Rice works where vampires are human and likable and everything, I'm also going to blame it for Twilight. You heard me. :U

• Has friends besides tanks now

^^ That is evil and wrong. >:[

• edited 2012-01-24 20:38:31
    You can change. You can.

^^ Got the wrong buffy there, mate

^^^ That's colourless. :p

• Only in white.

Colorless graveyard hate means it isn't only in white.

Check and mate.

• So apparently this is what happens when you try cremation on Innistrad.

• Phht, one toughness? Just get a spear or something and give yourself first strike.