If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

“We should have the lowest tax that we’ve ever had, and up until 1913 it was zero percent"

edited 2012-01-17 16:11:46 in Politics
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Comments

• But if you take away all taxes, then inflation *Brain melts*

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

The worst part? He was the most sane one at the debate. He was the only one saying that we shouldn't have the power to invade and kill whoever we like because, y'know, that's bad. And the crowd booed Mexico and cheered literal child labor. Jesus Christ.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

^

That is disturbing :s

• Yeah, that part I'm concerned about. That, and Romney's promise for the troops to return to Iraq, cause that's what everyone wants, amirite?

• edited 2012-01-17 17:06:20
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

You live in England you lucky son of a bitch. Although at least I live in a good state, but still. I know that Obama is a pretty bad President but there is no way I am voting anybody else if it means giving the Republicans even a modicum of a chance of winning.

^ They not only called for the reinsertion of troops into Iraq, they have, at many points, called for invasion of Iran, Pakistan, and fucking Turkey. Because of all the violent Islamic radicals in fucking Turkey.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> implying that Turkey is not the most secular major country in the middle east

Even I know this.  I should run for president.

I'd feel luckier without the current UK Govt in power, but in general compared to the stuff the US politicians/supporters seem to be clamouring for and suggesting I do feel substantially more 'lucky.'

• Look on the bright side, the more dumbfuck rhetoric they use to appeal to the base, the less electable they'll be in the general election.

Er, at least I hope so. We did vote Bush back into office, after all.

It would be quite entertaining to see the US elect a properly hateful/crazy President.

It wouldn't be entertaining for long though if they actually did stuff they promised. 

The U.S. Congress would probably cockblock a truly crazy president.  Because it would actually be political expedient to do so.

• edited 2012-01-17 20:55:16
    Has friends besides tanks now

^^^ That's the sad part, especially seeing as how any one of those Republican chucklefucks will probably damage the country more than Bush did.

• Glaives are better.

Pakistan, I can understand invading, because they've been pretty shitty at being an ally. Iran, I can understand invading, because they've been a serious pain in the ass, and are threatening to create one of Mankind's deadliest weapons with no oversight or responsibility. 

But Turkey has been an okay ally, Kurd-hating notwithstanding.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.
    Let's invade none of them.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^This is a good idea.

• No rainbow star
    ^^ BUT DEN DEH TURRISTS WIN!
  • But you never had any to begin with.

^ ...The tourists? The turricans?

• The 2012 US election: There is always more. It is always worse.

I say that no person shall be president of the United States unless they can beat Super Turrican.

• No rainbow star
    ^ But only Santorum is insane enough to defeat the Super Turrican!
  • Glaives are better.

We can't just take the threat of force off the table. What are we going to do without the threat of military intervention, count to three?

Otherwise, it's just economic sanctions, and that doesn't even work most of the time.

I agree with Hatter.  I would totally threaten batshit insane and potentially dangerous countries with military force; I just wouldn't do it until I've decided that shit has hit the fan (or is on its way to the fan).

That said, I think we've made a pretty good statement that we are indeed willing to use military force already, between Afghanistan and Libya.

• Glaives are better.

With the exception of not obtaining Congressional approval, I think that Libya was handled pretty well.

But really, shit would have to get extremely serious if we had to threaten military force against North Korea or Iran; we'd pretty much all have to go into bomb shelters. Iran and NK aren't backwater Banana Republics that we can defeat with a few key airstrikes; they're heavily armed nations that are too big or well defended to occupy unless the native population is with us. 

I can see overturning Iran without direct force, because the population isn't brainwashed and has a decent-sized moderate middle class, but I don't see a way we could topple North Korea without glassing it into oblivion.

Not to mention that a damn lot of Iranians actually kinda hate their current leadership.  You wouldn't have seen those massive protests in 2009 if they didn't.

I'll give you Iran, sure, but North Korea is practically the definition of a country we can engage limitedly. They have a supremely tiny nuclear arsenal (five short-range missiles, at most), and there's a higher chance of the country imploding without any outside help than with most unstable dictatorships. Not to mention that it would probably be better to not invade by land since they have a very large land army, but a tiny and outdated navy/air force.

So, in other words, it would be best to...

~nerdy troper glasses~

BOMB the SHIT out of them.

• Glaives are better.

Those short range missiles can reach Japan and South Korea, though, and I'd prefer it if they didn't get nuked. 

• I think they'd probably prefer that, too.