If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Blanket statements about cops being bad people

edited 2011-12-06 13:35:54 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Uh, they're not; they have about as much diversity in opinion as do the rest of us.  Okay, they're a bit more conservative on average, but still.  A darn lot of them sympathize with the Occupy/99% causes even as they are ordered to take down encampments and stuff.  And just because they're the ones going around evicting people from foreclosed houses doesn't mean they enjoy it--ask those that do it and they'll tell you it's pretty depressing.

In short, they're real people, too; they just do what they do because it's their job.  So, at worst, see them as punch-clock villains, who don't necessarily enjoy everything they're told to do, especially the more politically controversial stuff.

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Hear hear.
  • No rainbow star
    Hence why it is not good that I am a bit afraid of them at times

:< I shouldn't be, but a few bad apples make me worried about who may and who may not be a good cop
  • You can change. You can.
    Honestly, blanket statements in general bother me. Mostly because a person's profession, religion, ethnicity, etc does not necessarily relate to their personality. Not all soldiers enjoy killing, for example.
  • "Not all soldiers enjoy killing, for example."

Doesn't war make soldiers less likely to enjoy killing? It seems that such sentiments tend to come from people who have never actually been on the battlefield.

I would say that's indeed true, but I'd be lying if I said there are no sociopaths whatsoever in the army or in any of the military branches of the world.
  • There was some research in World War II to the effect that quite a high proportion of US soldiers in combat avoided actually shooting directly at the enemy, through reluctance to kill.

More generally, there is a certain irony in making a blanket statement condemning all blanket statements.

There is, but I think that's actually the exception that proves the rule.

the rule being the exception, in this case. Which makes it somewhat hilarious.
  • Honestly, blanket statements in general bother me. Mostly because a
    person's profession, religion, ethnicity, etc does not necessarily
    relate to their personality. Not all soldiers enjoy killing, for
    example.

Yeah, this. It's not just cops who get unfair blanket statements.
  • edited 2011-12-06 15:52:44
    Loser
    Juan_Carlos,
    Honestly, blanket statements in general bother me. Mostly because a person's profession, religion, ethnicity, etc does not necessarily relate to their personality. Not all soldiers enjoy killing, for example.

Ever notice how many problems seem to be caused by people seeing each other in terms of simple, stereotyped groups rather than as individuals?

glennmagusharvey,

I tend to agree with you on this. I also feel bad for average TSA workers given how they have kind of been made out to be the bad guys because of the newer security measures at airports even though it not like they were really responsible for them being put in place.

That being said, I do not think it is completely bad to be a bit on guard about police action, if only to ensure that people's rights are being respected. I guess that is kind of obvious though.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Let's not forget that there are plenty of cops who support the Occupy Wallstreet movement. Unfortunately, being a cop means you've agreed to uphold the law, even if you personally find that law repugnant, and have to find legal ways to try and enact change. It's basically the difference between Lawful Good and Chaotic Good and god I should give myself a wedgie for that.

Personally, I get nervous whenever cops are around. It's not rational and I shouldn't do it, but I've had bad experiences in the past. That said, I of course recognize one asshole cop doesn't make them all such.
     It's basically the difference between Lawful Good and Chaotic Good and god I should give myself a wedgie for that.

you also should give me your lunch money
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    And stick your head in the nearest toilet and flush.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I think most people are slightly more on edge when a cop is around, unless they personally know said cop.
  • ^^^^ Wouldn't a cop be just as likely to be Lawful Neutral though? I thought that was the usual D & D alignment for bureaucrats. 

If you want my lunch money, you'll have to come and get it.

• Well even though cops are people. That doesn't give them the excuse of letting other cops get away with crimes. We know that the "Buddy System" is in order and many of them are corrupt.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It doesn't give them an excuse, but it does explain it.  That just highlights that this is a problem.
  • ^^Lies. Cops aren't people, they revoke their right to be seen as human beings the moment they sign up for the job. They become automatons of the LAWWWW.
  • edited 2011-12-06 18:15:30
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

-Average Police Officer
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Most cops I've met have struck me as sincere about their job, so I don't begrudge them their duty.

It just sucks that the law itself is so often Lawful Stupid.
    Ok, seriously, next person to talk about DnD's Alignments, gets a sword up their ass. 
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Oh stop being so chaotic neutral. ;)
    You have five seconds to find everything you hold dear, put it in your car and then run to the closest hellhole you can find. Because otherwise, I'll put a chainsaw up your ass AND I WILL REV IT UP TILL IT GOES CLICK
    >implying that a chainsaw is capable of such a fine degree of aim that one can use it for anal anguish

trust me on this one, guys

you can't do it
    Only someone who's obviously Chaotic Evil would know something like that.

Alex.
    He just wants me to use a sword because it is his fetish.
    If you must use something with machinery in it, use one of those Renaissance daggers that splits the blade into a trident.
    ok, scratch that, his fetish is middle age/rennaisance shit.

in fact, if it isn't current at all, it is his fetish

guess he's crazy about 80's hair
    nope

70s, dude

70s
  • edited 2011-12-06 19:20:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Regular chainsaws might not work, but there's always this:
  • edited 2011-12-06 20:20:02

These especially annoy the fuck out of me, since my grandfather is a police officer, and my uncle used to be one (drama happened and he was fired).

Fuck you, cops are not bad,