If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Ugh, my mind is stuck on politics

edited 2011-11-14 22:48:21 in General
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
I hate when this happens because it's just frustrating, especially with current events and trying to get my mind off of it just makes it worse.

I hear there are people who don't care about politics. Must be nice.

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    This is your brain on OTC.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    OTC has nothing to do with it. My dad just loves to watch political shows. 

If someone on the street mentions the goddamn Cain scandal I might deck them...

then get the shit beat out of me and arrested. 
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I repeat, this is your brain on OTC.
  • You can change. You can.
    I hear there are people who don't care about politics. Must be nice.

It's pretty chill up here in ignoramus town, yeah
  • Well it's not as if the saying goes "Ignorance is not at all pleasant."

It should, but maybe that's just me.
  • You can change. You can.
    Well, my point is simply that being ignorant, while being relatively pleasant is not exactly the best thing. Nor something you should seek out either.

Although I was pointing out that I'm ignorant in US politics because it ain't my country, so i don't give a fuck.
  • I'll admit to being fairly cynical about the possibility of humanity getting better through politics. I wasn't always. However, although that at least keeps you from the depressing effect of yet another cause/politician letting you down, I'm not sure it would be a healthy attitude for everyone to have.

Political stories on the news have also been known to make me want to bash my head against the wall. I recommend selective use of the mute button to avoid annoyance.

• I think politics are slowly becoming more civil. Whenever I hear a historian in an interview make comparisons between then and now regarding how things are conducted, it always seems like they say that it used to be much worse. Speaking in terms of U.S. history, I mean. I think things are going to continue to get better excruciatingly slowly. DADT was lifted rather recently, for example. It's a small and overdue victory, but it's very unlikely to revert, and it is something.

At the very least, politicians have to pretend that what they're doing is sane.

• Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

Politics, more civil? Hmm.

There is some sort of broad "consensus" ground in mass European politics, whilst the US is in an endless tug of war between at least two paradigms of thought which act in equilibrium.  

More civility in Europe isn't really a good thing, because the major parties have come to accept a broad liberal democratic consensus and alternative ways of thinking find it hard to gain credence. The cartel party thesis suggests that they've become something closer to semi-state agencies, nothing more than different management teams who collude as a political class whilst marginalising outsider parties as much as possible. Politics has become sterile. It should be civil in the sense that it is non-partisan when it needs to be - in times of crisis - and is a peaceful matter. Politicians should not tone down democratic debate or adhere to politically correct nonsense.

Not so sure about the USA. It has its own problems of lobbying power, filibustering, obstructionism, and generally dirty campaign tactics. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Hey Malkavian, I hear that Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has been accused by at least four women of sexual harrassment.

...speaking of which, is it Herman or Hermann?  And why am I wondering about this?
  • ^^Those kinds of problems in the U.S., while unfortunate, are not new. Their presence doesn't invalidate my suggestion that it's been getting better. It used to be even worse in terms of those things if I'm remembering right.
  • edited 2011-11-15 17:12:24
    Loser
    Gelzo,
    I think politics are slowly becoming more civil. Whenever I hear a historian in an interview make comparisons between then and now regarding how things are conducted, it always seems like they say that it used to be much worse. Speaking in terms of U.S. history, I mean.

I think in some ways you are definitely correct. Your comment mainly reminded me of this though.

Glennmagusharvey,

His website says his name is Herman.

Shichibukai,
    Politicians should not tone down democratic debate or adhere to politically correct nonsense.

Do you think you could clarify what you mean by "politically correct nonsense" a bit? I unfortunately am having trouble understanding that comment. I am curious to find out what it means though because I feel like I have heard people make such comments about things in the U.S. and I did not understand their meaning that well then either.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @LouieW: Well, clearly that's a fabrication of the liberal mainstream media!  His real name's gotta be Hermann.

...wait...