If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Talking with my mother about Chernobyl and the Elephant's Foot

edited 2011-11-11 18:26:20 in General
In case you don't know, the Elephant's Foot was a radioactive formation they found underneath Chernobyl after the meltdown happened. It was so radioactive that just looking at it would kill you. You can look it up on Google image search if you want.

Anyway, I joked that it looked like something Cthulu would produce, especially with the "looking at it would kill you" part. My mother then tried to convince me that the Elephant's Foot might have something to do with meteors that may or may not have inspired HP Lovecraft in the writing of his stories. She believes Lovecraft might've seen some strange things that helped inspire the things he wrote about, such as meteors or strange creatures sailors would've brought to shore, even though we haven't established any biographical details about Lovecraft to support this, or even how a meteor would connect to Cthulu or the sunken city, or for that matter, the Elephant's Foot.

Her only basis for this is the findings of meteors outside of Egypt around the time of the Bible, which might've influenced the stories told there, and with the strange things that might've been running around London in the time Arthur Conan Doyle was writing Sherlock Holmes due to people going to South America and back for the first time, and how those would've influenced the Sherlock Holmes stories.

I just can't even...what?

Comments

• Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

Just looking at it? I knew looking directly at nuclear blasts could kill, but the radiation too... 

Deja vu. I was just talking today about how I had alot of uncanny similarities with HP Lovecraft. 

• No rainbow star
    It was so radioactive that just looking at it would kill you. You can look it up on Google image search if you want.
    ಠ_ಠ
  • edited 2011-11-11 21:47:41
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    even how a meteor would connect to Cthulu or the sunken city

Sounds more like the Colour Out Of Space than Call Of Cthulhu to me.
  • edited 2011-11-12 10:56:14
    Was it just that looking at it would kill you, or that it was so intensely radioactive that researchers couldn't get close enough to see it without taking a lethal dose?

edit: Whelp...

"Reading an interesting article about “The Elephant’s Foot”. a formation
    of reactor core lava in Chernobyl which was so radioactive, just looking at it
    would kill you on the spot. A person able to actually see critical
    fissionable material up close will die a horrible death, although all
    they will see is a glimmer of light, along with a weird buzzing. (Note
    that the light itself is deadly, as it contains gamma rays.)"
  • Having now managed to look at a picture of this formation on a website, I would say it looks like a cross between a Shoggoth and a big pile of poo.

• No rainbow star
    If it is fatal just to look at in person, wouldn't that make it just as bad as an Eldritch Abomination?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    So is this formation still there?